Chp 16 : Unforeseen Detours

-Adam-

What am I even doing here? The fact that I deliberately came here rather than remaining in my apartment, following Mathew's suggestion, is unbelievable. I mean, come on, ladies have been attempting to get my attention here like crazy. Their efforts, as far as anyone can tell, have been fruitless. If I'm not actively disengaging from what they're saying, then I definitely am not paying attention.

This club is full of women, and none of them intrigue me. Sighing, he retrieved his phone from his pocket and dialled a number.

"Blackson, my man. What's going on?"

"Nothing. I'm just home with my wife and kids. 'Where are you?' There seems to be a lot of noise from where you're calling."

"I am at a club, trying to occupy my free time. Anyway, how is the family?"

"They are doing fine. Margaret says hello, but please tell me. I am certain you are in a club filled with women. Why are you calling me when you should be conversing with the other women in the club?"

"I am completely uninterested in any of them, and I am literally dying of boredom right now. May I inquire if you had the opportunity to meet with Miss Dickson during the clinic earlier this week?"

"Ben, I don't know what it is about Miss Dickson that keeps popping into your head. Maybe it's because you've had a taste of her and just can't get enough."

"Would you kindly inform me of her condition or something? And stop making wild assumptions."

He finally spoke out when he sighed and acknowledged seeing her. "As always, she goes about her business unaffected." While Ben is eavesdropping on his friend, his gaze keeps moving to the woman across the bar.

I recognise that woman. I can't remember where I last saw her. He sees the inebriated woman brazenly try to shove away the man standing next to her at the bar. It was clear she was uncomfortable in his presence.

Obviously, I don't understand why I failed to see her earlier. That is the lady Shelley, as well as her family, dined with. Is she intoxicated? And why is she here?

"Would it be okay if I called you later, Gideon?" He ended the conversation and placed another call, this time to Shelley. While the phone rings, he listens.

A woman's voice greetingly states...

"Hello!"

"Hello Shelley, How are you doing? It's Adam."

I know who this is. I am fine. How may I help you?

What the fuck is going on with this woman? He pondered. Regardless of my existence, she responds indifferently.

"Thanks for asking; I'm also good." Listen, I've seen a drunken woman at this pub, and I swear to God, she looks just like the one you introduced me to that night at the table with your parents.

Sarah? Are you sure? Ask Shelly. No way! She has no business being in this community. I think you're confusing her with someone else.

"Not in my opinion. No face escapes my memory. Guess what? I will photograph her and forward the image to you. If you believe she is the one, please inform me."

"Of course,"

Just after Ben snapped the shot, he texted it to Shelley.

As soon as she picks up her phone, she scans through Ben's text message and sees what appears to be a photo of her friend Sarah. Oh my! "What was she thinking about getting drunk like that?" "And what is that man doing to her?" In panic, she redials Adam's number.