Chp 29 : Family Drama

-Adam-

Mr. MarQueen is the founder and partner at the law firm Ben works with. Since Ben passed the bar, he has also served as a mentor and father figure to him. Since learning about his father's adultery and abuse of his mother, Ben has made it a point to consult him for every piece of advice and decision, never once turning him away. When the time arose for him to secure legal representation for his mom in the divorce case with his father, he instinctively sought Mr. MarQueen, a renowned Boston lawyer he trusted, to represent them. However, upon discovering that he and his mom have been spending time together even when his presence is not required, he finds himself uncertain about the implications of this revelation.

Is there more going on between him and my mom? he ponders. It's not like I would dislike it if something was going on between the two. Mr. MarQueen is by far a better man than my father ever was or will be. Although he was previously married, he is no longer married due to the death of his wife in an accident. Since then, he has remained a widower. It is not that women have not been throwing themselves at him; rather, he wishes to remain that way. He still keeps his ring on to scare most women away. The stubborn ones remain around, hoping to capture his attention someday.

I need to reach out to Mr. MarQueen and inquire about his visit to my mom during my dad's call. Was that visit solely for business purposes, or was it something more? Speaking of calls, I did tell my mom that I would call my father. Sighing, he said, "I better get on with it."

With the phone in hand, he dialled his number and waited patiently for an answer.

"Hello. Thank goodness you called back. I have been calling you so many times, but you don't seem to get back to me. I know we don't have the best of relationships, but I am still your father."

"Don't dare reveal your identity to me. You are nothing to me. And how dare you call my mother when the court has asked your lawyer to do that for you? Have you overlooked the restraining order you received? If you ever pull that stunt again, I swear I will make you regret it. You better know your place."

"I did not mean to call her. I was in desperate need of help from you. Also, I do not have a lawyer. He quitted. I need a lawyer to represent your brother. The company he works for is accusing him of embezzling funds. He is innocent in this case."

"Are you certain he is innocent in this case? After all, he is your son."

"I may be all things, but stealing is not one of them. And must I remind you that I fathered you? Are you to say you are one too?"

He replies. "As much as I hate that your blood runs through me, I will never be like you. Moreover, due to my workload, I am unable to assist you. Look elsewhere for a lawyer."

"Oh right, you lack the financial resources to hire a new lawyer. Such a shame." He teases.

"Listen, I know you hate me, but please don't get your brother involved in this. He is innocent in all this." Cutting him off he says, "He is no brother of mine. I want nothing to do with you or him. Don't you ever call me again? I don't care what happens to him, but if you ever call my mom again without a legal representative, I will make sure you share a cell with your son." Just then, Ben cut the call.

"That asshole. He has the nerve to ask that of me."

***

Things have been great with Ben. If he doesn't visit my place, we prefer to catch up by hanging out. Most of the time, it is dinner at a roadside vendor or just a stroll through the neighbourhood. After which, we parted with a passionate kiss, leaving me yearning for more of him.

Most of the time, I wake up shamefully wet from the most vivid erotic dreams with him. I never knew such an emotion existed. I know at first I hated crossing paths with him, but now I long to see him with each passing minute. "Isn't that crazy?"

Tonight, he plans on taking me to his favourite nightclub. He and his buddies hang out there often. I have never been to a nightclub before. I have no idea what to wear. "I am really going to make a fool out of myself tonight."

Not if I could help it. I need a plan.

Who better knows how to party? To get advice, all I have to do is call the queen of parties and dress-ups.

I wait patiently on the line, hoping and praying that she will pick up. The last time they talked, she told her to get her sh*t together. Now it is she who needs her help in getting her sh*t up and going. "How ironic."

"Hello Shelley, Is this you?" Yes, it is. How have you been, Sarah? "I have been good. God, it's been so long. I miss you."

"I am so sorry I have not called you to find out how things are. It's just that I have been busy. Forgive me." Shelley replies.

"It really is okay, Shelley. Given my behaviour, I was even surprised that you tolerated me for such a long time. You are right to tell me to get my act together. I needed that."

"Seriously, Sarah, how are you?" I am really fine; you don't have to worry about me. I have been sober for a while now. "That is great. I am proud of you." Thanks. Enough about me. I am sure you did not call to find out whether I had been sober or not. So, what's up?

"Right. I have a date at the nightclub, and I don't know what to wear. Can you suggest what I can wear to such a place?"

"A nightclub, you say? Well well, what have you done to Shelley?" She inquires. Shelley chuckles. "Are you going to help me or not?"

"Do you trust me?" If I didn't, I wouldn't be calling. "Then I'll send you a few dresses to your location. You can pick one and pay me later. How about that?"

"That will be great. Thank you so much. I owe you one."

Sitting beside Ben in his Range Rover, I am so out of place. Although Sarah sent over beautiful dresses, they weren't the ones I'm accustomed to. Then again, neither is going to the nightclub. In the end, I settled on this dress.

I kept pulling at it because it was a bit above my knee. All the dresses she sent over were short, but in the end, I settled for this sexy deep V-neck long-sleeve silver dress. It fits so well on my body. I just couldn't part with it. With my hair, I let it fall to the right side of my face. So, here I am, wearing a sexy dress that reveals my cleavage, in a car with a guy to whom I am intensely attracted, and heading to a place I have no business going. She sighed.

"Is everything alright?" he asks glancing my way.

"Everything is fine." So, to which club are we going? Shelley asks as she glances at him. "You will see." He places his left hand on hers and says, "Relax.
You look beautiful." She bit her lips, joining her palm with his.

"You are biting your lips," he says. "Sorry. I guess old habits are hard to lose."

A small smile creeps on her lips as Shelley looks him over. He has on a casual blazer with a T-shirt that is paired with denim jeans. "What are you looking at? Is there something on my face?" Giggling she says, "Nope, just checking you out. You look dashing, by the way?"

"Thank you," he said, smiling.

"Are we there yet?" Shelley ask.

"Not yet."

A moment later, they pull up at the club's entrance. Suddenly, the car door beside her opened, and a hand stretched forth, offering assistance. She grabbed the hand, and the security guard helped her out. Once she looks up, she reads the sign on the building: "Vienna City Club."

"Seriously, Here?!" she said, gesturing towards it while nervously glancing at Ben. "What's wrong with this place? Do you hate it?" He asked while standing beside her.

"Nope, it's just too crowded and expensive for my liking."

"Clubs are expected to be crowded and expensive," he retorted.

"I am being stupid, aren't I?" she asked. "No, you're not. Just freaking out." He said, extending his arm for her to take.
"You are with me. I assure you, you are safe."

He then asks, "Shall we?" With a smile on her face, she takes his arm as they proceed inside.