CHAPTER 9

NEWS_____________꒷꒦꒷꒷꒦❦꒦꒷꒦꒷꒷

NEWS
_____________
꒷꒦꒷꒷꒦❦꒦꒷꒦꒷꒷

A soft light illuminated the bathroom window as the young newborn was thrust into the room.

It was mostly made from slippery pale tiles that reached from the floor to halfway up the walls. They looked like they were eating the poor walls, trying to climb up them like monsters in nightmares. Bree frowned. She hardly remembered what nightmares had felt like. She knew they were scary, but how badly was a mystery.

The door squeaked. "You can leave your clothes on the floor. I will pick them up when you're done bathing!" Alice chirped behind her.

The door closed, signalling that Bree was alone. She inspected the room suspiciously, scared that there was something that could cause her harm. Her sneakers smacked against the floor as small pieces of mud squished between the floor and the shoes. The lake episode had not washed her clothes fully from the brown substance. Some of the slimy material had caused staining on her clothes, refusing to let go. She was in awe at how it still stuck to her clothes after being underwater for so long. It almost creeped her out. It shouldn't be possible for the mud stains to still manage to keep hold of her, but here she was, covered in the substance. At least the loose mud had fallen off.

The brown-haired girl started the process of taking her clothes off. She felt the fabric beneath her fingers break occasionally, making her cringe. The textile was fragile, feeling almost like cobwebs, strangled tightly on her skin, and hiding her marble-looking body. As the clothes finally fell to the ground, Bree stepped uncertainly into the slippery bathtub.

Its acrylic surface held the water in, cupping it so it wouldn't turn the bathroom into a swimming pool. The clear liquid rose as her body collided with it. She sank slowly into the water, feeling its familiar caressing touch. Pain shot into her unbeating heart, spinning her mind away and back to her mother. She let her face form into a short smile, dreaming about the woman. It was ridiculous that the newborn still thought about her. There was no reason for her to be reminded of the stranger who had given birth to her. She couldn't even remember her mother. The teen shaked her head, determined to get the oddly comforting human out of her mind. She shouldn't think about her. It wasn't wise to dwell on someone who didn't exist in her life anymore.

She started to scrub herself. All the filth and blood stuck on her body washed off, turning the water dark.

The change in the liquid's colour made the girl feel uncomfortable. She jumped out of the bath, stepping onto a foot towel. It laid unsuspectingly on the ground, not knowing it was about to get wet from her feet.

A pleasant feeling washed over her as her toes touched the cotton-like material. She purred happily, not expecting it to feel so soft. Her feet stood still, refusing to move from the white towel.

She fought the urge to close her crimson eyes adamantly, deciding to take the body towel hanging close to her. Her hands found it and wrapped it against her skin, gaining another purr from her chest. She sat down, cocooning herself inside the warm towel. Bree didn't feel ready to leave the bathroom yet. She wanted to stay in the comfortable towel. Letting her eyes finally close, she let out a sight. All the negative emotions had disappeared from her in the bath, just as all the dirt had. She felt cleansed and peaceful.