chapter two

- PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS -

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

     EVERY TRIP BACK to The Capitol Nadia finds the sights more dull and unexciting. She's seen it all, and though passing through the more wealthier of districts that were in some ways beautiful, the irony is she could never enjoy them. The nervous anticipation of her purpose there was far too distracting.

Nadia was a deceiver in some ways. She always looked like her acts forced upon her were carefree and easy, when in fact they were quite the opposite. And unfortunately she started to hate herself a little more with every bed fellow she encountered.

The train came to stop once arriving in The Capitol and she hadn't even stepped out from her hiding place within the cart before the sound of cameras clicking made her eyes roll.

"Stand up straight and smile wide, darling." Julia said placing a hand on her shoulder as they stood behind the closed doors. "Angels don't slouch."

Forcing back a scoff, Nadia plastered on the sexual bravado she was trained to expel just as the doors came open and she was met with flashing lights.

This was one of many exhausting scenes she's lived through for years and could never get used to. Sure, every young girl may dream of being beloved by many in some point of their life. The price, however, made the prize all the more disappointing.

She waved and she smiled, she winked and she held her head high, no matter the urge to hide her face from the image she was thought out to be. Soon enough, she made it behind closed doors again in the same building she always stayed and finally her lips could fall for just a moment's rest.

As her luggage was handed off and sent on its way to her room, Julia led her around a corner just as a woman popped up in all her fashionable glory.

     "Aren't you a sight for sore eyes." Clem wrapped her arms tightly around Nadia's shoulders and the smile that came to her lips wasn't fake.

     Clementine Ambrose was the stylist for District Five and was one of Nadia's dearest friends. Unlike a lot of Capitol citizens, Clem actually saw the fault with the games and felt a sincere bit of sympathy for each of the tributes that passed her by.

     Though she wore an array of bright colors, she mostly liked to wear black and gold, a combination that complimented her complexion and in her own little act of rebellion, goes against President Snow's love of white. Nobody but her really saw it as rebellious, but she was satisfied all the same.

"Hi, Clem." Nadia closed her eyes and soaked in the comfort she felt from the woman's embrace. Her own mother's arms were nothing compared to Clem. Not that there was much to compare to in the first place.

"Let me look at my favorite victor." Clem pulled away keeping Nadia's hands in hers as she looked over her fondly, letting out a breath of dramatic awe.

Three quick claps would ruin their reunion as Julia walked right between the two and started down the hall to the room that Clem had set up to get the woman ready.

"Come, come. We have matters to attend to." Julia gestured up and down the length of Nadia's stature, before raising a hand in the direction of the room.

     They shared a short glance of judgement before heading in behind her, Nadia instantly attacked with greetings and compliments by her two makeup artists, Birdie and Dightery.

"My dear, you just look..." Birdie trailed off, draping a section of Nadia's hair behind her shoulder as she got a look at her face.

     Birdie's purple eyebrows that matched her dress, turned down in thought. "What's the word I'm looking for?" She clicked her tongue, turning to the colorfully dressed man on her left.