chapter twenty three

- NOT ALONE -

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

     IT ALL HAPPENED so fast. Faster than her mind could comprehend. Like the ocean in a fierce storm, her mind was pushing and pulling against the heavy waves to try and break the surface. But she was drowning.

     She's nearly drowned before, the only difference was she wasn't underwater. Her lungs ached, her head hurt and just like in the arena, she was sure this was her last leg.

     Only this time, she didn't expect Finnick to dive down into the treacherous sea and scoop her up, helping her swim back to the calm shore and hug her close to make sure she was okay.

     Because Finnick was dead.

     Tears pricked her eyes again as she wondered if the ache in her lungs and the pain in her head was just the result of watching him die. It had to be. Nothing could hurt so much as witnessing her last hope dwindle.

     Nadia was pushed into a room with less aggression than before, the door closing and the lock clicking. She almost couldn't believe she was doing this. Again.

     It was warmer in here, her cold skin relishing in the heated room, but her arms still remained as a guard across her chest. She wasn't sure she'd be able to hold herself up if she didn't hug herself tight. Her heart hurt far too much.

     She dragged her feet across the floor and looked out the window with an eager eye to find something that'd make her forget reality for a few minutes.

     It'd only been a minute or two and the door opened again, Nadia's heart racing as she thought a Peacekeeper would drag her to a client now. But it was only her mother, the woman pushed inside and the door locked again.

     Nadia had never really seen the caring and affectionate side of her mother and she didn't know how she was supposed to greet her. But she was her mother, and to be held by someone she knew was almost a necessity.

     Her lip quivered as she made it across the room in a few quick steps, wrapping her arms around her mother's waist and hugging her with a desperation for comfort.

     Mina didn't say anything and Nadia's heart only hurt worse as she patted her back a few times before prying her off and stepping away.

     "No crying." The woman stated as she wiped a hand down her arm, Nadia's brows slanting in hurt. Her own mother didn't care to offer a moment of her embrace.

     She then found Nadia's gaze, smiling with her lips but frowning in her eyes. "There's no room for tears on that pretty face of yours if you want to keep me and your father alive."

     It was then she realized she was alone. Completely lost in The Capitol's control as not even her mother cared enough to be against what she was put through.

     Nadia scoffed, her tears were more like fire from the ever-brewing rage that consumed her. Surely there was someone or something out there that could show her even the smallest atom of hope.

     "I can't believe you." She breathed out, not daring to look at her mother as she stood there appearing perfectly content.

     "Why? Because I'm grateful you've just saved us?" Mina tilted her head at her, a snicker sounding that made Nadia's head feel on the verge of exploding. "Your hesitance made me worry, but I won't hold it against you."

     Nadia nearly burst out in laughter, a quick blurt of an angry scoff passing her lips instead as her fists balled at her sides. "How considerate of you."