chapter nine

- BIRDS OF A FEATHER -

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

THE INTERVIEWS CONTINUED for another hour, tribute after tribute. District after district. Most ended with tears, some with cheers, but Nadia's favorite was Johanna's. She really did have a lot to say and nothing stopped her from letting everyone know how displeased she was with being thrown into the arena again.

     It finally came time for District Twelve, the other twenty-two tributes lined across the stage like an extravagant display.

     Katniss walked out in a stunning, big, white ball gown, the crowd cheering louder for her walk alone than any of the other tribute's entire interviews.

     "Katniss Everdeen!" Caesar cheered, the girl taking her place next to him with a wide smile on her face. Fake, but her audience was too gullible to notice.

     Nadia watched on, wondering how anybody could scream that long and that loudly for an entrance. It was rather amusing and she found herself laughing quietly to herself.

     On her right stood Finnick, and though it was quiet, he heard her. If for no other reason then to be a pest, he nudged her arm lightly without so much as a look in her direction.

     She faced him, from his side she could see a glimpse of his smirk and so she nudged him back playfully.

     "You look fabulous! Doesn't she?" The crowd shouted in fits of praise and applause, Nadia and Finnick not paying attention as they continued to lightly swat at each other.

"My, my!" Caesar fanned himself with his hand that held the microphone as the other was holding Katniss'. "Now Katniss, this is a very big and very emotional night for all of us. Wouldn't you say?"

"Don't go crying on me now, Caesar." Katniss said.

"I can't make promises, you know me."

"You know I wouldn't believe you even if you did." She replied, everyone laughing and cheering at her response.

"I love her! Girl on Fire is so cheeky!" It's like the octaves of the crowd got even louder which Nadia didn't think was possible.

"But Katniss, on a more serious note. I think we're all here a little disappointed, more than a little disappointed, that a certain wedding did not take place." Caesar paused for effect. "Aren't we folks?"

The crowd sighed and awed as Katniss, real or not real, was able to make her face look surprisingly saddened. Which Nadia would've applauded to if she wasn't on a stage in front of the entirety of The Capitol.

"Alas... But, am I correct in assuming that this is the gown you would've worn on that day, yes or no?" Caesar asked eagerly.

"Yes." She started, looking down at her gown for a moment. "President Snow thought everyone would want to see it."

Nadia and Finnick shared a look out of pure loathing for Snow and all his requests. They knew better than anyone.

"Well, President Snow, as usual was right. Was he not, folks?" The sound of shouting became like background noise to all the tributes standing up on the stage after over an hour of nothing but those screams of excitement.