-- Season 4 -- Chapter 17: Inner Dispute

Finally back in Japan, Sans and his classmates went back to Yuuei. Aizawa Sensei was glad to be able to see his students again, even if he didn't make it obvious to them.

"You're back," he said when he first saw them. "I heard you lot were caught up in a bunch of trouble a week ago. God, you're all just magnets for danger, aren't you?"

The young heroes let out nervous chuckles and quickly went to their seats. Aizawa shook his head and began talking to the whole class about their performances in the provisional Hero License Exam.

Everyone was listening intently as he explained how the class did overall. He noted that they were the best-performing school there. "We dominated in the tournament section, especially," Aizawa noted.

Then he moved on to talking about individual results. He pointed out the flaws in the performances of those that didn't receive their licenses first, before moving on to the ones that succeeded in becoming rookie heroes.

Everyone was given pointers on different things that they could work on. Frisk needed to learn to work more effectively and cooperatively with Chara, while King needed to try to find ways to expand his repertoire of strategies to better utilize his raw physical strength.

Sans was listening to his teacher. Or rather, he was trying to. As Aizawa was talking to Shouto, explaining that mastering his fire would greatly benefit him, Kyouka noticed that something was off about Sans.

"Sans?" Kyouka went as she tapped his shoulder. No response. "Sans, what's wrong?"

Aizawa turned to see what was going on right as Sans fell out of his chair onto the ground.

"Sans!?"

Only minutes before Kyouka tried talking to him, Sans was brought into the mindscape by a commotion caused by Dust.

"What's going on in here?" Sans asked as he opened his eyes inside of the landscape. "Dust, what's up with all the noise you've been making?"

"Finally!" Dust yells as he starts walking quickly towards Sans. "You have no idea how pissed I've been getting lately because of you."

Sans took a step back, not sure how to respond to Dust's sudden outburst. He looks between the other Sanses, taking note of their expressions.

Dust seemed angry, of course. But Sans couldn't help but notice that he also seemed excited...

Skelly was very clearly nervous about something. Why was he looking at Sans like he was trying to tell him to run?

ERROR was difficult to read, but Sans could have sworn he seemed intrigued by something.

Looking at Cross, Sans could only tell one thing. He looked like he was itching for a fight.

Nightmare was very clearly amused. He grinned as he locked eyes with Sans. "Good luck. You'll need it..."

Dream appeared frightened as she frantically looked between her other selves and her brother.

And finally, Ink. He was the most difficult for Sans to read. His expression was completely blank. All Sans could tell was that Ink's eyes were locked on him.

Sans gulped as Dust stopped walking directly in front of him.

"What are you talking about, bro?"

Dust shoved Sans forward, antagonistically saying, "Don't give me any of that 'bro' bullshit. I'm tired of being stuck in this empty white space. It's driving me crazy!"

Without thinking, Sans nervously said, "Weren't you already crazy? At least a little—?"

Sans was cut off, getting shoved away by Dust's telekinesis. He flew through the air, landing on his back.