--Season 3-- Chapter 37: Broken

On his way back to the stands, Shouto is stopped by someone with white hair and a slim build. They stand directly in his way, and their usual smile is no longer visible.

"Sans," Shouto says coldly as he stares at his classmate, "you came at just the right moment."

Sans doesn't respond, and just continues to stare at Shouto. Frost covers the body of the half and half teen, and he's visibly shaking, too. Sans takes note of this, letting out a heavy sigh.

"You overdid it, didn't you?" Sans asks as he points at Shouto. "You're clearly struggling to hide it."

Shouto says, "I'll be fine." He then continues, saying, "I would be more worried about yourself if I were you."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean," Shouto says as he lets out a shaky breath, "that I'm coming for you. Don't you dare lose, because you and I have to settle which if us is stronger."

Sans grins, saying, "Oh man, I may be in trouble. If you use your fire against me, I may be done for."

"... I refuse to use my flames."

"Why?" Sans asks as he stares Shouto in the eyes. A sudden tense feeling fills the air as the two of them continue to stare at one another.

"My father, Endeavor..." Shouto says. He stops talking for a moment, seemingly trying to figure out what to say. After he does so, he continues, saying, "He ruined my life for the sake of my fire."

Sans doesn't say a word. Instead, he just stares at Shouto's eyes, filled to the brim with pain and hate.

"He had tried to surpass All Might for years, but could never do so. All Might was simply on a different level... Desperate, he decided that if he couldn't be the best, his child would in his stead." Shouto puts a hand over the scar that's over his left eye. "I'm the result of this selfish wish."

Sans continues to stare at Shouto, paying close attention to his scar. He doesn't know what to say...

"After failing to have a child that he found good enough, my father would move on to the next one. Eventually, I was born. My father was enthusiastic, and nearly right after my quirk developed, my training began." Shouto's presses his hand harder against his face, and his eyes shake as he says, "He had no care for what I wanted, and forced me to train. My mother tried to help me, but..."

He grits his teeth and says, "But she couldn't handle the pressure of my family. Not only was I distant with my siblings, but they were distant with her, as well. She loved all of us, nevertheless. But she despised my left side... All because it reminded her of my horrid father..."

"Shouto, I..." Sans quietly says. He doesn't know what to do in this situation...

"In a sudden fit of anger, she threw boiling water onto me, which she immediately regretted. She tried to use her quirk to fix her mistake..."

As he says this, Shouto can hear his mother saying, "I'm so sorry Shouto!" as she cried. He starts to breath slightly heavier, and with a gulp, he continues.

"Of course, my body is resistant to heat. The water hurt, sure, but I would have been fine. My scar is actually a result of her attempt to heal me with her ice." He takes his hand away from his face, staring at it as he remembers the entire event.

"Where's mom?" Shouto had asked his father a few hours after the incident.

"She hurt my masterpiece, so I sent her to a hospital. Clearly, her mental state isn't the greatest." In contrast with his fire, Endeavor's voice was cold. He stared down at Shouto, who held a hand up to his face, which had some bandages covering up the scar. Tears went down his face from his unharmed eye as he wished for his mother to come back.