Retired

Credit goes to Fantasyinallforms

Thorin dragged himself in from the porch. He had spent most of the day marking things off his honey-do list from Bilbo. Things that his fastidious hobbit was not able to take care of himself. So far, he had changed out the hinges on the back door, fixed Bilbo's wheelbarrow, and repaired the legs on the back garden table. He wiped the sweat off his face and felt his shirt clinging to him. It was a hot and humid day, which meant he would find his lovely little hobbit exactly where he had left him, curled into the corner of the couch when he went inside.

They had lived at Bag End for over ten years now, and that was after nearly thirty years of ruling Erebor side-by-side. But he did not want to watch his beloved age in the darkness of a mountain, so he passed his crown to Fili and retired. This was a quiet, lazy life but a worthwhile one.

Bilbo was indeed on the couch. His book had fallen out of his hand, and his glasses slid down his nose. Bilbo had become a deep sleeper. He supposed years of living with dwarves did that to a person. He was able to move him into a more comfortable position, remove his glasses, and set them on the tea table without him waking. He ran his hand through his husband's graying curls. No less beautiful than the gold they had once been. He looked back at the list Bilbo had made for him. There was still a lot on it, but it could wait. He sat down on the couch and pulled Bilbo into his lap, marveling at how cute he looked curled up into him. He kissed him soundly and sweetly. It was a sort of consistent lazy affection. His Bilbo sturred just long enough to get comfortable on his lap before falling asleep once again.

Chores can wait for some other day.