Shade & Plasmasonic (S.O.S.)#3: Oblique outpost

CUT TO: THE REALM OF IHIOSADORE

INT. TAVERN, HONEYMAW - NIGHT

TO̅MI, AMERETH, SHADE, AND MAXWELL SIT AT A BOOTH TOGETHER. THERE IS A FAIR AMOUNT OF TRAFFIC IN THE TAVERN DUE TO THE COMBINATION OF LIVE MUSIC AND ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES BEING CONSUMED. A WAITRESS BRINGS A MUG TO THE BOOTH FOR MAXWELL AND MAXWELL ATTEMPTS TO ACT SUAVE WITH THE WAITRESS HOWEVER SHE DOESN'T ENTERTAIN HIS ADVANCES.

[Maxwell]

Thanks, hun.

[Waitress]

Careful, Max, you're not drunk yet.

[Maxwell]

I can remedy that.

MAXWELL CHUGS HIS MUG OF MEAD AND SLAMS THE MUG ONTO THE TABLE.

[Maxwell]

Magnificent mead.

TO̅MI KNOCKS ON THE TABLE TO GET MAXWELL'S ATTENTION.

[To̅mi]

Hey, stay on track, please. What happened to the merchant?

[Maxwell]

Oh, yes. Good ol' Loq. One of the best goblin merchants around. He fell victim to the pressures of Prince Merellien.

[Amereth]

How? Goblin merchants' abilities to acquire merchandise are unrivaled. Who would risk disrupting such a lucrative commodity?

[Maxwell]

Apparently, Merellien is touting top coin for spotters to be on the lookout for elves which is why I had you two put on those fancy getups. Loq, like most goblin merchants, wanted to stay neutral for the sake of profit. For elves that had always treated him well, he tipped them off to bounty hunters looking for a quick buck even if it could be said that he wanted to retain their business.

[Amereth]

Merellien has many people in his pocket then. We were attacked by centaurs on the trek here who were in his employ.

[Shade]

Do you know what Merellien is after?

[Maxwell]

...Who're you?

[Shade]

You can call me Shade.

[Maxwell]

Understood. You know you're trippy to look at while I'm buzzed.

MAXWELL LEANS BACK IN HIS SEAT.

[Maxwell]

Not even his closest constituents are aware of what he's pining after. I've heard word that it's caused a bit of turmoil for the high elves. They don't like the idea of their inferior cousins paying a visit to Ornarila.

[To̅mi]

Not surprising.

[Maxwell]

I have heard word however that it's some kind of artifact that will bolster his power. In what capacity and to what effect, I'm uncertain.

[Shade]

So, what now?

MAXWELL TAKES OUT HIS PIPE AND BEGINS SMOKING IT.