Prologue

DISCLAIMER
This is a work of fiction. All the names, characters, places, events, and incidents are either the product of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. This story might contain sensitive scenes and topics that may bring discomfort to some readers. Reader's discretion is advised.

_______________

“It's my last year in college. I'm going to be fine!”

My parents were so skeptic in leaving me in this dorm room of mine. They were worrying about me again so they decided to come all the way here to see and visit me. Good thing my roommate isn't here.

“We missed you so much. Can this year be faster so you could go home quicker?" My mother said.

“Time can't be quick just because you want it quick, Mom.” I chuckled as if I'm a philosopher or something for saying that.

“It's good that you've adjusted pretty well here considering the situation we had a few years ago." Dad suddenly mumbled.

We all turn quiet. Mom glared at Dad for saying something like that. But it's true. We weren't in a good situation two years ago. I was in a different university and spent my first two years of college there before transferring here for my third and now fourth year.

My best friend died and it affected me a lot. She died because of suicide. It led me thinking that I'm one of the reason why she's gone because I thought I wasn't the right friend for her. And because we had a big argument right before she took her own life. It got so bad that they have to give me therapy which I vividly remember.

When I asked my parents why I don't remember my therapy sessions clearly, they said because it's one of my trauma responses. I only remember a few scenes of it—of me crying my heart out while in a room with a professional. And that's just it.

I've gotten better though. It was a big help. I don't cry anymore when I remember my best friend. But I still miss her everyday. The only thing left to me of her memory is the keychain she gave when we both graduated high school together.

“It's all good now, Dad. I'm getting better.” I chuckled and hugged the both of my worried parents.

“We love you, sweetie. Please know that we're doing our best to give what's best for you. I hope you'll be able to forgive us.” Mom's voice cracked and I quickly held her face gently to prevent her from crying.

“Don't worry, Mom. You already done a lot. I love what we have and it's more than enough for me.” I assured them.

Some people may know me as a snob person who always rolls her eyes whenever someone or something annoys her but in my parents' eyes, I am the most loveable person in the whole world.

Some people are just so entitled to give defining judgement to others without looking at themselves first. I've been judged multiple times. Some of them went through my head. Some of it don't. But I realized that I know myself better than they know me so I don't let their words decide how I will see myself.

“Promise that if anything bad happens again you'll tell us, okay? We'll come and get you here. You're welcome in home.” Mom sniffed as I continue to wipe her tears away.

“Nothing bad will happen to me. I've been staying in this dorm for almost two years! But, okay I promise.” I just said to prevent my parents from worrying too much.

I just brushed off the thought of something bad happening to me. I mean, just two more semesters and I'd be graduating and finally coming back home to them! I am finally visualizing my future career now that I'm one step closer to finishing my studies.

The only thing I am praying for is for no obstacles to hinder me from getting what I want.

Besides, who would dare try to slow me down?