twenty-eight

Like Ren, Sara saw the patterning as well. While some of the players tried, they weren't coming back to the station. Sara was starting to get worried about what was going on with Ren – especially with less than 3 hours left on the timer. Sara looked over at the crates, seeing their missing light sticks that were taken by the blue team. However, as Sara stood back and watched, she saw their patterns.

"Sousuke," Sara looked down at the kid. "I need you to watch Takeru for me, okay?"

"Where are you going?" Sousuke asked.

"I'm getting on that train."

"Are you nuts?" Another player said. "You can't get onto that train. We've seen what has happened." He complained.

Sara nodded, giving Sousuke's shoulder a squeeze. "Keep an eye on the crates, Sousuke. That's yours and Takeru's job, okay?" Sara said as she walked away from Sousuke. She stopped when she felt the platform shake.

"You can't think this is a good idea." Another player said.

"If we jump onto the back of the train, we can get inside." Sara looked towards the tracks. "Once inside, we might be able to break the doors open." Sara said. Sara knew that it was a long shot, but it was the best idea she had. They needed to get those light sticks and get their number back up – minus the one that Ren took; Sara knew that they were currently in last place with the number of light sticks. It wasn't looking good for their team right now.

"And what if you can't get the doors open?"

"Or what if you can't get off?"

Those were questions that ran through Sara's head too, but at the moment, all she could think about was getting onto that train and finding out what she could. There had to be a way onto that train without going through the doors. Someone had already tried that and lost an arm in the process. Sara knew the risks she was taking, and she was willing to take them for the sake of everyone else who was sitting on their asses, letting their light sticks get taken so easily.

Sara's hair went into her face as the train came into the station. This time, no one was on the train, at least from what Sara could see. She pushed her hair from her face just as the doors were closing. Sara took off running at the train pulled away from the station.

Sousuke's eyes widened as Sara jumped off the platform, grabbing onto the back of the train car. Sara struggled to hold on, losing her grip with one hand as the train shot down the tracks. She gasped as she twisted around, looking down at the tracks and the blood that was splattered across them. She quickly swung herself back around, grabbing onto ladder with both hands.

Sara moved herself slowly around, reaching out for the small ledge on the back of the train. She yanked the handle, opening the door of the train. She swallowed hard before basically flinging herself onto the train. Sara rolled across the floor, grabbing onto one of the poles to stop herself.

In all the years that Sara lived in Japan, she never experienced the bullet train and after today, she never wanted to. Sara kept losing her balance as the train shot across the tracks. Sara moved as quickly as she could, going through each of the train cars until she got to the controls. Now, Sara had no idea what she was looking at, but she just started to mess with the controls.

Sara just pressed buttons, moving levers, she did everything to either try and stop the train or open the doors. But everything she tried; it didn't seem to work.

Sara had to think of something and fast because she was about to get to the next station.

-