chapter 1 | beach house

Third Person POV

The sun has almost completely set as sixteen year old Zak Ahmed and his family approach their beach house in Surfside Beach, South Carolina.

Zak has been going to the beach house in Surfside for as long as he can remember. His family drives up in the beginning of June, and drive back late August. Three months of Surfside. Three months of endless happiness.

Everything good happens in the summers at the beach house. Zak can go wherever he wants and do whatever he wants. He waits all year just for these summers. Saying he's excited is an understatement.

He's finally sixteen now, and that only means that the summer will be even better. He can drive around, drive his parents' boat, and even control his own jet ski.

The summer has always felt like a three month party for the boy. He has great friends, goes to amazing restaurants, and hooks up with so many great girls.

Zak knows everyone in Surfside, which is a huge bonus. Everyone knows who he is or has heard of him. He's not necessarily known as a bad kid. It just depends who you talk to.

Their dark green Jeep approaches the summer house, white stained wood with huge windows that bring natural light in. There's a beige colored hammock on the front deck, and brightly colored palm trees cover the area surrounding the house. Zak can feel his heart racing as he thinks about all the memories he's going to make this summer and how excited he is to see his summer friends.

Zak's sister, Samira, instantly opens the door right as the car stops. Rocco, his dog, is barking and trying to scramble out of the Jeep.

"Move! I'm trying to get out!" Zak says loudly at his sister. She kicks him as she grabs her huge bag and jumps out of the car.

"I'm so getting you back for that!" Zak yells. His parents are already out of the car, grabbing things from the trunk.

"You're so annoying! Get out of my face!" Samira yells back, annoyed at her brother.

Zak picks up his black bag and runs towards the house, phone in hand. Rocco is chasing after him.

The beach is not even a mile away from them. Right as they walk out of the back door, behind their pool, sand blankets the ground and leads straight to the cool clear water.

Zak couldn't be happier. He can't wait to go the beach with his friends, swim in his pool, go to endless parties, talk to girls, hang out with his friends, and just be here. He loves summer.

He jams his keys in the lock of the door and runs in. The beach house even has its own smell, hot sand mixed with sunscreen and coconut. It's an enveloping and warm smell. A smell that you could never forget.

Zak breathes in, his mood rising even more. He scans the room, he's standing in the gorgeous country modern styled kitchen, complete with quartz countertops, matching quartz kitchen islands, a huge icebox fridge, and a smoke grey colored cast iron stove.

Beautiful open windows line the back wall, and the ocean is visible. The dark blue water contrasts with the pale cream sand. The sunset has painted the sky a range of various pinks, yellows, oranges, and even pale greens.

Everything feels perfect to Zak. Everything is exactly how it's supposed to be. This summer is going to be better than all of the past ones combined.