I

Auriella Devereaux

Six years ago

      I rushed down the halls towards my new student apartment. I was lucky enough not to have to stay in the dorms this year. I dodged other students who were saying goodbye to their families. I'm glad I could say goodbye to my brother last night and not have to make a dramatic scene on move-in day. 

     I unlocked the door to my apartment and pushed it open. I smiled at how clean and open it was. Filled with excitement and curiosity, I walked towards the first bedroom I found and pushed open the door. However, my excitement turned into shock when I saw a stranger sitting calmly on the edge of the bed with his piercing green eyes fixed on me. I couldn't help but notice how handsome he was. He looked as if he was carved from stone. His chiseled jawline, sharp nose, well-groomed beard, and messy hair immediately caught my attention. 

     "You must be my roommate," His voice was deep and thick, with an accent I couldn't place. 

     "I'm Auriella. Sorry for barging in. I didn't think anyone was here."

     "William Devereaux," he introduced himself. 

     "Sounds fancy. What do people usually call you?"

     "William," he gave me a puzzled look. 

     "Wait, so none of your friends call you Will or Willy?"

     "I don't really have friends," he said shyly. 

     "Well, you do now."

     "What would you like to call me?" he smirked. 

     I stared up at him, pondering what to call him. William sounded far too formal and stiff as if he were some sort of high-powered investment broker. He needed a more casual nickname. 

     "Billy."

     He could hardly stifle his full, deep laugh. It caused chills to run down my spine, and I couldn't wait to hear it again. I want him to always laugh. 

     "Why Billy?"

     "It's more relaxed. Less intimidating."

     "You find me intimidating?" he asked as he cocked his eyebrow. I didn't miss his sly smirk. 

     "Not you per se, but your name is."

     "Well, if I'm Billy to you, then you need a nickname. What do your friends call you?"

     "Auri."

     "I'll call you Ella."

     "Why Ella? Why not Auri like everyone else does?"

     "Because I'm not like everyone else. Ella will just be for me."

Present

I smiled as I rocked my nephew, Miles. His big brown eyes looked up at me with curiosity and wonder. He grabbed my finger and played with the brand-new ring. I looked up and saw his parents staring at me in confusion. 

"Auri, you can't just tell us you got married and then go quiet," Cleo said.

"Oh yeah, I got married to Billy," I said nervously. 

"How could you get married without your family? I didn't even know you were engaged," my brother said, hurt evident in his voice. 

"Leo, it's not that I didn't want you two there. It all happened so quickly. We've spent so much time apart. We didn't want to waste another second. I love him. He's the love of my life, and I hope we have your blessing," I said. 

I hate how much my heart ached for lying to my brother and best friend's faces. That was the farthest thing from the truth. I indeed married Billy, but it wasn't for love.

"How could you rush into something so important? I mean, you two just got back together," Cleo huffed. 

"You two have been together for less than a year, and I'm holding your son," I said with a chuckle. Leo opened his mouth before snapping it shut. 

"Auri, we're just worried about you. You moved out so abruptly, and we hardly see you anymore," she said. 

"There's nothing to worry about. I love Billy, and I'm happy—happier than I've ever been," I said as I looked down at Miles, who had fallen asleep in my arms. My phone vibrating made me look  away from the precious baby. 

Billy

You're late.
                                                                                                                                                      Sorry! I'm on my way.

"Sorry, I forgot I had something to do, but I'll call you guys soon," I said as I stood and carefully placed Miles in his father's arms. 

"Tonight, Auri," Leo said sternly. I sighed and nodded.

I left their house and made my way to my own. I sighed as I saw the familiar Pagani as I pulled in. 

I walked through the back entrance in hopes of being able to rush to my room, but sadly, I met the furious eyes of a man who despised me.  

"Mr. Devereaux," I greeted him with a nod. The tall man towered over me and grimaced. 

"Where were you? We have a schedule to maintain," he barked at me. I didn't even get a chance to speak when Billy walked into the room. 

"Father, let her be. She told me where she was going, and that's all that matters," Billy said with a glare before turning to me. 

"Your dress is upstairs. See you in fifteen minutes?" he asks. I nod with a smile and rush upstairs. 

"I just don't understand why you picked her. You had so many incredible options," I heard Mr. Devereaux say before I reached my room.

I sighed and quickly got dressed in the new dress Billy had delivered. I paired it with matching shoes and carefully pulled my hair in a sleek, curly ponytail. 

I went downstairs, and thankfully, Billy's dad was no longer there.

"You look beautiful," Billy said as he approached me, caressing my waist as he eyed me. 

"Rule number two," I reminded him as I stepped out of his grasp. He cleared his throat and nodded. 

"After you," he said, holding the door for me.