Alice

I can't believe I slept the entire day away and through the night last night. I knew I was exhausted from the bus trip but I haven't slept that good in years. I didn't have to keep my ears open for when my dad came home or be on alert in case he came into my room to take his anger out on me. I don't know how to feel now that I'm not a human punching bag anymore.

I get changed into some comfy gray yoga pants and an oversized t-shirt. The ace bandage was dry this morning, so I gently wrapped it around myself again to help keep my clothes from aggravating my back further.

I brushed my teeth and put my hair up into a messy bun. I don't have any makeup with me so I'm completely bare faced.

I make my way out of my room, inhaling the scent of coffee as I walk towards the beautiful kitchen. I freeze as soon as I walk in though, because there are four additional sets of eyes on me.

"Good morning, baby. Did you sleep well last night?" Nash asks me, pulling me from my almost panic attack.

"Ye... Yes. I slept like a baby. Thank you." I stutter out.

Nash comes up to me and hands me a cup with coffee in it. "I don't know how you take your coffee but there's sugar and creamer on the table if you want it." He tells me as he gently guides me towards the table. The same table with four enormous men sitting at it staring at me. Three have small smiles on their faces but one of them is looking at me like I'm a puzzle he's trying to solve.

"Alice, these are my brothers. Levi, River, Colt, and our baby brother Wilder. Guys, this is Alice." He tells me as he points to each individual guy. Wilder is the one who thinks I'm a puzzle piece but not in a rude way. More like he's really curious. Each man in this room is huge, like obscenely large.

"I guess everything really is bigger in Texas."

Loud laughter rings out and I realize I must have said that out loud. My face instantly heats and I look down at my lap.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to say that out loud." I apologize, quietly dying inside.

Nash gently grabs a hold on my chin and raises it so I meet his eyes. "Baby, don't apologize. We know we're big men." He's looking at me like I'm the most fascinating thing in the world.

There's an intensity to him that should scare me but it doesn't. It makes me feel safe, which I know is insane since we just met. Maybe I really am that starved for affection.

"So Alice, Nash here tells us you're from New York. What was it like living there?" The one named River asks me.

"Umm... it was... it was ok. A lot of people." I tell him, biting my lip. It feels weird having this much attention on myself.

"A lot of people? I bet there was a lot of crime too; living in a big city like that. I couldn't imagine working as a cop in New York." Levi says, making me freeze up instantly with thoughts of my father. Nash must notice because he tries to soothe me.

"Levi here is the Sheriff of GaleTown. His mind is always on the job. Don't let his comment get to you, baby."

"Ah, I'm sorry, sweetheart. I meant nothing by it." Levi tells me with a frown.

All I can think about is him being the sheriff. I know firsthand how dirty and evil law enforcement officers can be. My skin breaks out in a cold sweat and I start shaking.

I need to get away from him and fast before I have a full-blown panic attack. I get up so fast my chair almost falls backwards. "I... I um, need to go to my room. It was nice meeting you all." I say as I quickly run from the room, back to the safety of my bedroom.

I can't stay here. Not when Nash's brother is the freaking sheriff. I start putting all my stuff back into my bags getting ready to bolt and try my luck elsewhere when my door flies open eliciting a yelp from me as I turn around to see Nash and Levi standing there staring at me. Levi looks sad and worried and Nash looks like he's panicking.