Nash

As soon as she heard Levi was the sheriff, she ran from the kitchen like her ass was on fire. Terror. Pure terror was in her eyes.

We followed her back to her room and when I walked in and saw her packing her belongings; I knew she was going to try to leave. Leave me. I can't let that happen. She's mine.

I try to reign in the caveman side of me as best I can so I don't scare her even more, but there's only so much I can do.

"Where are you going baby?" I growl the question at her.

"I... I just remembered I have a friend staying in a nearby town. I'm thankful for the job you offered me but I really should get going." She lies right to my face.

I walk up to her and gently grab her angelic face between my hands, ignoring her flinch. "Don't lie to me, baby. I'll tolerate anything from you but not a lie. You're running from me. You're scared out of your mind right now and trying to run. I need to know what has you so spooked, baby." She has tears running down her face and it guts me.

"Alice, we know someone hurt you. We know you're running from someone. We can help you, darlin'. If you just let us." Levi gently tells her.

"How do I know you're not like him? How can I trust any of you when I don't even know you?" She asks us. I can hear the desperation in her voice for someone to help her. For someone to be the protector she needs. I don't think she's ever had that before. She does now, She has me and my brothers.

Being mindful of the marks on her back I walk her backwards until she's able to sit on the edge of the bed and then I get down on my knees so she's looking down at me.

"Alice, Levi here is my brother. I've known him my whole life. He would rather put a bullet in his own head before he hurt an innocent person. You have my word not a single person in this house would ever betray you or bring harm to you. I know you feel safe with me, baby. I can tell. Can you honestly tell me you don't feel this connection with me?" I'm on my knees practically begging her to understand and trust me.

"I feel safe with you Nash, but how can I know It's real when we just met yesterday? What kind of woman instantly trusts a strange man like that?" She asks me, wanting a genuine answer. She doesn't understand the reason she feels the way she does about me is because she's mine. I can't just tell her we're soul mates though, that would definitely send her running right now.

"You would be the kind of woman who trusts her gut instincts baby. When you're around me do you feel like you're in danger?" She shakes her head no. "Before you knew Levi was the sheriff did you feel scared of him?" She shakes her head no again and blushes.

"I'm sorry Levi, I didn't mean to be so disrespectful. You've all been so kind and welcoming to me and I just assumed the worst."

"Don't apologize, darlin'. You were just trying to protect yourself. Mind if I ask why me being a sheriff scared you so badly?" Before she can come up with another lie to Levi's question I jump in.

"Baby, last night I came in here to check on you and I saw your back. I know someone hurt you and has you running scared. We can protect you. I give you my word." I tell her.

After an agonizingly long silence where my heart wanted to beat out of my chest, she finally nods her head and starts to talk.

"My dad. My dad did this to me. He's a cop and no one would ever believe my word against his. He's been abusive since I was little but the other night he tried to..." She trails off, not wanting to finish but I grab her hands and hold on firmly. A sick feeling overtaking my stomach.