002. An Eventful Soiree

༻❁༺

༻❁༺

London's high society were gathered in splendor, dancing to the music and absorbing the festivities of the night. The hall was adorned with crystal chandeliers, a collection of flowers, ice sculptures, and the most refined gowns and tuxedos England had ever seen.

The Windsors and the Sharmas were striding into the grand hall together. Both families had been friends for years after the Windsors had visited India during one summer, but after Lord Windsor's death, communication became challenging that letters weren't enough. Long distance became a barrier between them, cutting their connection short.

Neither believed they would see each other again – that was until today.

Lady Danbury inviting the Windsors for tea brought them together. If it hadn't been for her hospitality, their reunion would have been prolonged and solely reserved for the ball or perhaps reading about each other on Lady Whistledown's paper.

Nerves and excitement were evident, but the families were eased in knowing their new coming would not be faced alone. Any difficulties or successes would be celebrated together and that was enough for them.

Elizabeth stood in the middle with Edwina while Adelaide and Kate stood by their side. Her gown was a regal shade of blue decorated with elegant lace and glittering accents. Her chestnut hair that always flowed past her shoulders was placed into an intricate updo. A few pieces framed her sensible face, complimenting her fringe hanging a few centimeters above her brows.

She observed the dancers and could not help from wondering if she would be able to twirl as effortlessly as them. Despite having learned all the dances, she was petrified her nerves would get the better of her, resulting in her unstable feet stepping over some poor gentleman's foot.

"Do not be nervous, Lizzie," Kate told her when sensing her worry.

Elizabeth formed a low chuckle and shook her head, "I am not nervous. Who said I was? I definitely am not."

Edwina softly laughed, "It is alright to be. Heavens know that I am as well."

"You have no reason to be nervous," she countered and tilted her head at the young girl. "You're quite the diamond and thanks to Kate's preparations, you are more than ready for this."

"As are you," Kate added, her expression serious but also comforting. "Both of you should not be nervous. This is the moment you have been preparing for. Just remember to breathe."

Victoria and Lady Mary squeezed their daughters' shoulders for reassurance. Some words of encouragement were about to be offered, but that's when Lady Danbury started pointing out a few possible suitors.

"The Marquis of Ashdown," Lady Danbury glanced towards a young boy with ginger hair and quite a timid stance. She looked over at Edwina for her attention and continued her introduction, "A little young, to be sure, but he has 10,000 a year."