010. Guilty As Sin

༻❁༺

༻❁༺

Her thoughts echoed his name, rummaging through her body like a caged bird. She wished to avoid the next few days and remain locked in her chambers, but in doing so, her deception would be revealed.

She couldn't allow these feelings to haunt her through every breath. Now more than ever with the ton joining them, she had to keep up appearances that nothing unfolded between them. If it can even be counted as anything. Certainly it meant nothing, because in what conceivable way could it signify something?

"Are you alright?" Adelaide questioned as she took the spot next to her, propping her feet up against the cushions and leaning her chin against her hand. "You have been very pensive lately. Sometimes you seem like you're with us and then as if you're miles away."

"Is it the sting?" Aurora joined their conversation and sat in between them.

Instant panic arose within her at the possibility they witnessed yesterday's events. "What? What do you mean?"

Aurora gestured at the bright red spot on her collarbone, "Is your sting still bothering you?"

"You have been acting strange ever since the creature stung you," Adelaide pointed out, concern and curiosity lacing her expression. "You have been keeping to yourself and aren't vexing the lot of us like usual."

"No, not all, but if you want me to become your nightmare, I will certainly become so," she warned them, but the playfulness in her voice didn't match her eyes.

Aurora chuckled and nudged her on the ribs, "Is that a threat, sister?"

"It is not a threat, it is a promise," Elizabeth rose from her spot and headed to her bed, where her emerald dress was laid out smoothly. She ran her hands through the soft silk, admiring the gentleness and elegance of the intricate design.

"Do you happen to know if Edwina is still upset over the viscount's lack of action?" Adelaide nonchalantly asked as she gazed upon her dark blue dress as well.

"I thought he was going to propose," Aurora pondered out loud, unsure as to why the viscount hadn't popped the question when he had the opportunity.

Elizabeth didn't know what to say seeing as she was just in the dark as they were. She couldn't obtain an answer considering what unfolded between them had caused them to create distance. She wanted nothing more than to see him, but she was afraid as to what would be said or if it would be ignored as if it were nothing.

And that terrified her more than anything.

"She seems to be alright," she told them. "There's always a chance he will propose at the ball, so she's holding on to the hope."

"Perhaps it will happen!" Aurora agreed, hastily jumping from her spot and rushing to her pink dress. "If I were her, I would be losing my mind. Can you imagine how nerve wracking it would be to wait for a proposal?"