020. Clover Blooms In the Fields

༻❁༺

༻❁༺

Dearest gentle reader,

We all know the race for a proposal is the competition every lady is sought after. The most desperate measures will be encountered for the rare jewel, but it has come to my attention that not only a lady desires such. Viscount Bridgerton enlisted the help of Miss Elizabeth Windsor to acquire the hand of our diamond. But our future Duchess is no exception. Being certain of not finding a husband on her own, she also accepted the viscount's helping hand in securing her betrothal to the Duke of Edinburgh. This author wonders if this recent scandal will sour the march down the aisle, or if perhaps, a cease to these illicit matters would finally bring sincerity to the light.

Lady Whistledown, 1814

Humiliation was a rare experience Elizabeth encountered. In Paris, she was known as a wallflower and it kept her away from the fiercest of weeds. Staying in the shadows was much preferred as she would much rather watch her sisters delight themselves in their liberating lives. If she could have remained in her hidden bubble in London, there were no uncertainties of not having taken the opportunity, but her responsibilities transformed her from a wilting wallflower into a blossoming lilac.

After having read the latest Lady Whistledown during her stroll at Hyde Park, she suffered through the worst possible mock. Everyone stared at her as if she had committed the most atrocious crime. It seemed accepting the help of a gentleman, especially from someone as respected as Viscount Bridgerton, was the most treacherous of actions deemed worthy of ridiculing.

It didn't matter if her name was besmirched. She was still marrying the Duke, so all she concerned herself about was the possible prospect of having wrecked her sisters' future debut. Adelaide was set to be introduced next season and the thought of having ruined everything for her made her terrified and become consumed with guilt.

Not that Adelaide would mind considering how much she's made it clear on her desire to remain a spinster, but of course, Elizabeth knew life in society would change her mind.

As she sat by her window, she gazed into the gardens and counted every flower as a way to distract herself. She refused to cry about her troubles after having wasted so many tears these past months. Drowning in her self-pity would be the end of her, so it was only a matter until nightfall came and she forced herself to attend the Kingston ball.

Maybe then, the ton could see this scandal didn't have an effect or maybe seeing her with William would finally put a cease to this.

"Lizzie," Victoria stormed into her room, the latest issue of Lady Whistledown in hand. "Have you seen this?"

"Of course I did," she bluntly said, not bothering to feign any calm over her disastrous problem. "I read it during my morning stroll, where everyone could see me and laugh at my absurdity."