017. Into the Rain

༻❁༺

༻❁༺

Morning rain seeped through the clouds as Elizabeth waited for the storm to subside under a pavilion. Around her, there was nothing but trees and a nearby creek. It was halfway to the lake, which meant there was still privacy being granted and the solitude she deeply desired.

It was troublesome to obtain any sleep after what happened last night. She tossed and turned and ran through every possible scenario where this could be anything good. Nothing convinced her that admitting to her feelings would be beneficial. If anything, only heartbreak and deception would be encountered.

After what transpired between her and Anthony at Aubrey Hall, she already expected his avoidance. Despite his bravery to face his responsibilities, when it came to facing his mistakes, he ran faster than a cowardly father.

While a part of her wanted to share a conversation about last night, the greater part of her was worried about the consequences it would bring. She wouldn't be able to handle the repercussions for her deception, but if anything, the aftermath would be well deserved after all they have committed behind closed doors.

As she gazed into the forest, the rain only seemed to be getting worse. Thunder blared from afar and she dove deeper into the pavilion, her back resting against the wall and eyes closing. She usually loved the rain, but it was getting harder to enjoy anything with all the chaos unraveling.

However, she no longer felt like she was alone. It was such a comforting presence and the only one to make her lose her train of thought. Sure enough, when she opened her eyes, she found Anthony standing a couple feet from her with his hair and clothes dripping wet.

"Elizabeth," Anthony breathed out, his gaze softening and filling with anguish. "All night, I have been in torment thinking of you and everything that happened between us these past months. You have been a thorn in my path and the cross I've been forced to carry. I cannot take this any longer, so I come to you offering a solution to our impossible situation."

She was quiet for a moment, distraught by his choice of words. "Did you just call me a thorn and a cross?"

Consternation consumed him at the fact that she didn't listen to anything except for those words. It was astonishing that she chose to focus on that part only, but he had to realize that it was also extremely expected considering she would always find a way to create an argument of some sort. This was one of those times and while he didn't want a banter to occur, he couldn't prevent from following her lead.

"Are you quite serious? That is the only thing you just heard?" Anthony gaped at her in disbelief as he scoffed lightly.

Narrowing her eyes into slits, she glared at him as if preparing herself to scold him, "You just insulted me for no reason. If that is the only reason you came, I would much rather be alone than be plagued by your company."