013. An Unthinkable Fate

༻❁༺

༻❁༺

The frenzy of competition. The thrilling delight of hazarding your all. I am referring not to the lure of London's luxurious gaming halls, but to a gamble of with far higher stakes. Matrimony. For once that particular wager is placed, it cannot easily be undone. A fact which, I am sure, is met with both regret and sheer relief.

Lady Whistledown, 1814

Anthony and Edwina's wedding would be hosted by the Queen herself, making it the most coveted event of the season. The diamond would be marrying a member of the most illustrious family and while celebrations engulfed the Bridgertons and Sharmas, a sense of concern and dread emitted from a few, especially after certain events had unfolded between two certain individuals behind closed doors.

While getting fitted for his tux, Anthony wasn't quite satisfied. Regardless of how much the article of clothing got tailored, something felt wrong about it. Nothing reached his satisfaction, which was raising his mother's worry that perhaps this was about something more.

"It is not yet right. See how the cuffs are an inch too short?" Anthony expressed his concerns as he showed the tailor his unfit tux.

"Very well, sir."

"There is plenty of time to adjust it to your liking," Violet assured him, her words going in one ear and out the other. "The wedding is not for another month."

"There is still much to do," Anthony argued as he scurried away from a possible lecture.

"Will Miss Edwina live with us?" Gregory curiously asked.

"Indeed. After the wedding, she'll be the lady of the house and responsible for you all," Violet said as she grabbed ahold of her cup of tea.

Colin's eyes widened, "Lord, help her."

Ignoring their conversation, Anthony could only focus on getting through the wedding preparations. The sooner that it's over, the better. "Which reminds me, our carriages must be polished to a shine, and the horses' manes braided. We should bring out the finest silver. The queen may be hosting everything at the palace, but we must be ready to entertain here."

"And what of us, brother?" Benedict questioned while stretching his arms out. "Should we also be polished and braided for the big day?"

The rest of his siblings laughed at his questions, but Anthony found absolutely no humor at his apparent teasing.

"We'll all be on display. Perhaps you might even scrub your hands for the occasion?" Anthony noticed the paint and charcoal residue on his fingernails, choosing to utilize this opportunity to fire back at his feisty brother.

Benedict thought nothing of it, which definitely worsened Anthony's already frustrated mood. "I've been occupied at the academy."

"What about Miss Windsor?" Hyacinth nonchalantly questioned once remembering her departure was happening quite close to the wedding date.