016. Come, Gentle Night

༻❁༺

༻❁༺

Dinner with the Sheffields was a most dreaded occasion. If given the opportunity, Anthony would find an excuse not to attend, but they were Edwina's family, and since she was about to become his wife, it meant they would become his family as well. Quite frankly, he preferred working on his business affairs than undertaking an inopportune event, but betrothals come with these types of situations, which was only making him regret continuing with this.

To make matters worse, the wedding date was getting closer, but he wasn't referring to his. He was referring to Elizabeth's. Ever since seeing her in her wedding dress, he was constantly plagued with the image of her. While she looked remarkably beautiful, he was distressed that she was wearing the dress for someone else. She was betrothed to another and despite his rationality reminding him that this was for the better, he was still upset by her decision.

Well, he couldn't complain considering he was on the same page. He was getting married as well and this entire agreement had been solely for this reason only. If he had known he would have become the bearer of such feelings, he wouldn't have commenced such an accord. Perhaps he would have spared himself all this trouble if he simply stayed away from her, but it was too late to dwell on the past. He can't turn back the time, so all he can do is move forward despite wanting to stay stuck in the present.

A sudden knock on his study placed his thoughts on a halt. He looked up and smiled once his mother entered. She was ready for the dinner, which meant he'd be forced to abandon the safety of his home for the dreaded occasion.

"Lord and Lady Sheffield's return is certainly a surprise," Violet commented as she placed her earrings on. "But it shall be pleasant to see the family reconciled, will it not?"

"I will be finished in a moment, mother. We shall not be late," Anthony assured her, not bothering to glance up from his papers.

Violet could sense there was something more in her son. He had been more stressed, more upset, and would isolate himself ever since the announcement of Elizabeth's betrothal was released. She knew better than to pry, but it was getting harder with everything being witnessed. "It is not that. I have been watching you all week and I- I told myself I would support your choice, but I must admit, I am finding it quite difficult to continue to stay silent."

Anthony tensed upon her words, afraid of the imminent lecture about to be given. He understood her concern, but he had no desire in speaking about what could have been or what is right. The present was the only thing that mattered and it meant fighting for the family he has now. Dwelling on the future won't do him any good, which was all he hoped his mother would understand.

"You have been anything but silent," he remarked.

"This is your betrothal, Anthony," she tried pleading her case, hoping that somehow, her stubborn son would have a change of heart before it's too late. "Your marriage. To the woman that shall replace me as head of this household, might I add."