she knows

Newt

"Tommy, here." My voice strained as I heaved a large wooden box over my head and onto the boat.

Thomas, who was standing on the bow, turned and grabbed the heavy box from my hands and set it next to the others. I sighed with relief when I saw that the job was done, my arms aching from the dozens of crates we'd hauled from the club to the port.

My hands reached for my mask as sweat rolled down my forehead. I lifted the fabric to breathe in the fresh sea air, the cool breeze feeling heavenly on my face. My skin was itchy under my long sleeves and my jeans, the heat sticking to my arms and legs, making me feel lethargic.

I pulled my mask back over my face and squinted my eyes to look up at Thomas, shielding the sun from my view.

"How's it lookin' up there?" I asked him as he shrugged.

"Like we're gonna be traveling on a boat full of drugs for the next month." He stated simply and I cracked a smile. "Who knew so many people were hooked on this stuff..."

"You know, if we weren't busy trying to save somebody, I might like to try some." Minho piped up from behind a stack of boxes.

I furrowed my brows as he walked up next to Tommy.

He caught sight of our gazes and shrugged. "Just to see... Never said I was actually gonna do anything."

"That's mildly concerning..." I muttered as Tommy hopped down from the bow and onto the creaky dock.

Minho scoffed. "You're concerned about everything."

"Only because you give me a reason to be concerned about everything. Maybe I will be a good father after all..." I motioned to Minho. "I've had to look after you all these years."

At that, Thomas let out a loud laugh.

Minho gasped in offense and joined Thomas and me on the dock, stumbling slightly when he landed. "You have not had to look after me."

"I have." The three of us began to walk back to the club. "You run your mouth so bloody often we'd probably be dead if it weren't for me telling you to shut up all the time."

"He's right about that." Thomas agreed, nodding his head.

"You know, I feel very left out here... You two have been all bestie-bestie since this thing started." He said and Thomas patted him on the shoulder lightly. "And for your information, I only run my mouth because I have a lot to say. Thanks to me, there's never any awkward silence."

"Sometimes silence is good, Minho," Thomas said as we reached the alley.

"Fine!" He threw his hands up in frustration as I chuckled slightly, making my way down the narrow flight of creaky stairs. "Next time I won't say anything. I'll just let everyone fend for themselves and you will all be sorry you ever made fun of me."

"I bet we will, Min." I humored him, taking off my mask once we reached the club.

It was almost empty at this time of day. The girl who always performed sat on the stage playing her guitar, humming one of the tunes she would be singing tonight. A few lonely men took up spaces at the bar, drinking their troubles away. I waved at the singer, remembering our conversation the other day and the song she dedicated to us. I wanted to ask her whether she'd thought of it on the spot, or whether she'd had it ready for a while. But she hadn't played it since, so I figured it was probably irrelevant now.

She nodded back at me, her hums turning into lyrics.

We reached Apio's office and Thomas stepped forward, knocking three times. The door swung open and Vince ushered us in quickly before anyone could hear what Ali was yelling about. I turned to Vince as he shut the door.