run baby run

play song when they start arguing

Mae

I sat at the dining table with a cup of coffee and gazed outside at Newt, who was doing push-ups in the dead grass while Minho watched him. He was shirtless, his muscled back glistening with sweat and the mist that filled the air in the mornings.

I hadn't been able to stop thinking about him since we went swimming last night. Of course, Newt was always at the forefront of my mind, but it was different now. I kept replaying how he pulled my body into his as I struggled in the water. How he felt underneath my touch. I remembered how kissing him felt. My heart was yelling at me to run outside and grab both sides of his head and smash my lips onto his, and I deeply wished I could. But my mind was at war with my heart. Whenever I came close to following my heart, my mind quickly reminded me of the past. How I'd been treated by other men.

I swallowed and glanced down at Meredith. Her green eyes were wide as she drank from the bottle I had prepared for her a few minutes ago. Milk trailed down her chin and I smiled as I wiped it away with the corner of my sleeve. She was so perfect, her placid skin and her bright green eyes were the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen before.

"Breakfast."

I looked up from my daughter as someone placed a bowl of oatmeal in front of me. Ali sent me a shy smile and lowered himself into the chair next to me, shoveling spoonful's of his oatmeal into his mouth.

"You're Ali, right?" I asked. I hadn't gotten the chance to properly introduce myself to him, our first interaction had been me screaming at him and everyone who stood near.

He nodded and swallowed his bite. "The legend himself... You're Newt's girl?"

"Mae." I nodded and grinned.

"Nice to meet you, Mae." He tapped a finger on the table. "I was beginning to think we'd never get the chance to say hi to each other."

"I know, I've been a little busy with this one..." I motioned to Mary. "Also, I'm sorry you had to witness whatever happened in the kitchen a few days ago...I hope you know that's not how I normally act."

He waved a hand and took another bite. "Don't sweat it. The facility's an awful place, you have the right to lash out, believe me. I had my fair share of breakdowns when I got out."

I paused.

Did he just say—

"What?"

Just as Ali was about to open his mouth to repeat his previous statement, everybody suddenly entered the dining room. Vince carried a large tray of pancakes over his head, Brenda setting down a bowl of colorful fruit. Frypan came in announcing that the pan he was carrying was very hot before he set the eggs down across from Gally, who hadn't been listening, and touched it, burning his finger.

"Fuck!" He cried out.

"There's a child!" I voiced as Fry smacked his arm.

"I just told you it was hot!" He said at the same time.

Teresa came in and sat next to Gally, setting a towering stack of toast down carefully in the middle of the table.

"Bacon!" Lily cried out before setting down another plate. My eyes were wide by now, I hadn't seen this much food in ages.

"We have enough to feed a small army..." Vince entered and sat down across from me.

"Good, we are a small army." Jorge's loud and distinctive voice said. I turned to glance at him, seeing that he was helping a limping Thomas find a seat at the long table.