for freedom, for everyone

this one's emotional, buckle up

Mae

I couldn't stop the tears from flowing as I walked into the cabin. With Lily's hand clutched in mine, I ignored the questions as everyone moved towards us. I felt dizzy like everything was coming up all at once. This new information, guilt for everyone who has died, what happened in the facility, the stress of bringing a child into the world when it was in such chaos because of my actions. A child who was a cure.

I inhaled a breath, letting go of Lily's hand only to hide my face from everyone who had gathered around me. I'd cried the whole walk home, I just couldn't shove it down anymore. I could only hold so much in before I broke.

My legs felt numb, my throat ached as I sobbed, still trying to hold it in because people were watching. As much as I wanted to get away, I was cornered into the kitchen, my back facing everyone who cared about me so they couldn't see me weak.

"Mae," Minho gently turned me around. "What's wrong, what happened?"

I just shook my head and sobbed again, moving away from his touch. I wanted everyone to leave me alone. For once, I didn't want to hold it all in. I wanted this terrible feeling out of me. I wanted to throw up as many times as it took for me to not feel bad anymore. I wanted to reach inside and pull all of these feelings up and shoot them to dust.

I could hardly breathe, I was being choked out by my past. All the feelings I never addressed exploded suddenly and I couldn't control myself. I knew I looked a mess, but I hardly cared. My chest ached, my head beginning to hurt with all the pressure. I didn't know what I needed until he was there.

"Maisy, love..."

It didn't take much for me to turn and bury my head into Newt's chest as soon as I heard his voice and felt his presence. I sobbed harder as I inhaled his sweet scent, I felt guilty knowing that Lily was his sister before he did. But I was also joyful that he had family still.

He sheltered me as he always did. He placed one hand around my back, the other in my hair as he attempted to shield me from everyone else. He began to lead me to our room as I darted my hand out towards Lily, who gladly took it and followed us across the kitchen. She told everyone that I'd be alright, that I just needed space. I knew the latter was true.

Newt only let go of me when we entered our room. I didn't expect him to let go of me, I couldn't hold myself up. My legs weren't strong enough. I wasn't strong enough in this moment to take care of myself. I'd been taking care of myself for as long as I could remember. I forced people away, didn't allow them to see all parts of me because I couldn't bear the thought of others seeing how broken I really was.

I lowered myself onto the floor, Newt bending down next to me immediately and pulling my head into his chest once again as we sat on the floor. As I blinked the tears out of my eyes, I noticed Lily sit down next to us. Her hand touched my back, rubbing comforting circles to soothe me.

"It's alright," She cleared her throat like she wanted to cry too. "Let it out."

"What the bloody hell happened?" Newt asked Lily, holding me so tight.

Lily didn't respond. Newt had to know that it was his sister that sat next to him now. Not a stranger that helped me give birth.

As soon as Lily told me, I could see the resemblance. I'd been so blind before. Blinded by my trauma, blinded by love, blinded by revenge. She had the same eyes as Newt's. The same color hair. She was gentle like him, she talked like him. Hell, I should've known when I was only comfortable letting the two of them hold our baby. Now I know why I felt that way.