let the light in

buckle up, this one tugs on the heartstrings

this one is so full of symbolism

Mae

I hummed a simple tune to Mary as night fell over the cabin.

It had been a long day. From waking up at the crack of dawn, to yelling at everyone and having to share my child countless times. Not that I didn't enjoy the break, but the only people I felt remotely comfortable holding my baby was Newt, Lily, and Rudy.

The little boy sat on the corner of the bed as I changed Mary into a different set of pajamas. Since this was Lily's childhood home, her parents had kept most of her baby clothes and stored them in a box somewhere. She had kindly washed them and offered them to me. Mary's wardrobe was now more complex than mine. She was already so spoiled...

"How do they make clothes that small?" Rudy asked, holding his finger out for Mary to take.

I shrugged. "Very carefully."

He rolled his eyes. "Great answer..."

"What comic are you reading now?" I changed the subject and picked Mary up, beginning to pat her back gently.

Rudy flopped on the bed and stared at the ceiling. "Well, I left a lot of them at home, Lily rushed my packing so I only had time to take about ten."

"How rude of her..." I teased.

"I know," He continued. "Right now I'm reading Spider-Man for about the hundredth time!"

"Is it your favorite?"

He thought for a moment, then shook his head. "No. Close though. I like Iron Man the best."

"Iron Man? What's that? What kind of superpowers does he have?" I kept the conversation going, it seemed to calm Meredith.

"You've never heard of Iron Man!" He sighed, exasperated. "I've failed..."

I chuckled at the ten year old. "You're very dramatic tonight."

"Only...Only because Iron Man is the coolest superhero ever! He doesn't really have superpowers though, he's just a normal guy. But he's a genius millionaire! He has way—He has a lot of money! And after he got captured by bad guys, he made this suit out of metal and—and it can shoot fire and he can fly!"

"He can fly?"

"Yeah! And—"

Lily walked into the room, interrupting Rudy's very enthusiastic lecture about superheroes. He looked at her and sighed, knowing what her presence meant. She cocked her head to the hallway.

"Time for bed, Rudy." She said gently.

Rudy frowned. "Can I just finish telling her about Iron Man?"

"In the morning. I'm sure she'd love to hear all about it," She eyed me. "But little Meredith has got to get some sleep. And you've got to brush your teeth."

"But—!"

"Now!" She forced, pointing to the exit.

Rudy stomped his foot and waved a lazy goodbye, obeying Lily as he made his way to their room. I chuckled at the kid, I wondered how he could stay so happy through all of this.

Lily sighed and stepped further into the room. "Sorry about that, I know Meredith needs some sleep."

"Can I ask you a question?" I blurted out, and she nodded. "How do you know Rudy? Is he your—"