Day 4 Part II

"N-No, freaking way. You have no cancer, right? Please tell me it's the lie."

Donald's here in front of me, begging me to tell him that my eyes lie. That my actions lied at him. But I'm not. It's the truth. And no one could ever change that.

"You're just playing with me, right?" He's telling me that, yet his tone seemed unconvinced. He's in despair.

I smiled weakly, still looking at the table. "Shall we eat?"

"G-Gaile..."

"Please?" I looked up at him in a pleading way. "I don't want to talk about this today. Let's just talk about this some other day."

He stared at my eyes, then on, he looked away. There, I felt the hot liquid that has started to flow down on my cheeks.

So that's why he looked away. Because of the tears that's forming on my eyes.

I had started to eat. When I noticed Donald's not yet eating, I put down my fork. "Why aren't you eating?"

He smiled bitterly, pain is visible on his eyes. "How am I able to eat?"

That got me.

"How ironic. I used to convince you to tell me your problem and when you did, I wished you never said it to me. How I wish I never heard about it."

Napapikit nalang ako. I tried to smile at him. "Then just act like nothing happened. Act like you've never heard about it."

"How am I able to do that? Nakatatak na sa utak ko. Pa'no ako aakto?"

"Then just eat for me... please?"

Nakahinga ako ng maluwag nang makitang nagsisimula na siyang kumain. He's trying. He tried. For me.

We ate in silence, yet it was all fine for me. It's enough... as long as he's eating.

"What kind of cancer do you have?"

That question of him made me stop. That made my whole world stop.

"Gaile?"

"You don't need to know--"

"I wanted to know. Para alam ko naman kung anong gagawin ko. Para alam ko naman kung anong magagawa ko."

I smiled sadly. "You don't have to know. Mawawala lang rin naman ako---"

He glared at me. "Gaile..."

I chuckled. "What? I'm just telling the reality." I smiled bitterly. "Reality hits hard, right?"

"Gaile, stop saying that. You can be healed. Trust me, you can. I'll send you to the best doctors here in Italy. I'll ask Milord---"

"Donald, stop it. Tama na. I appreciate your help, but no need on that. Not aymore." I smiled bitterly. "There's no time. Tanggap ko na. Tanggap ko nang ganito na ang kahihinatnan ng buhay ko."

"Gaile, there's still time. I told you, I'll make time."

"Do you think my remaining time would be enough to heal me? Stage 4 na, Donald! Last stage na ng sakit ko! Malala na! Can't you get that?" I'm starting to raise my voice.

He stared at me. "You can still be healed. Nothing's impossible. There's a saying that miracle exist---"

I laugh with no fun. How ironic. I was the one who should be relying on those beliefs yet here I am, losing hope.

"What you're saying is impossible."

He stared at me. I was bothered at that.

"Ayaw mo bang magpagaling?"