Chapter 9: Chosen Mate

Cleaning my room took several hours because of all of the destruction. Did no one hear this ruckus as the intruder violated my space? I rolled my eyes and put my hands on my hips. I would not give in and live in fear. I decided to go to the store to grab new stuff for my room. The lock on the door would have to be changed too.

I picked up new bed sheets, food, clothes- really anything that could have been tampered with. Everything.

Shopping by myself seemed lonely and a memory came to mind.

*Memory*

I struggled to reach the eggs on the top shelf of the refrigerator section even on my tippy toes. I huffed in frustration.

A hand reached around me to grab a dozen eggs and I turned around to see who it was. Lance. I looked into Lance's eyes for a few seconds, and I stormed off in another direction. With his long legs, he easily caught up to me.

"Beautiful, I'll let you grab the chocolate chips." Why couldn't Lance leave me alone? I felt useless as he grabbed everything and had me push the cart around the store. He was offering me a chance to grab something, but I didn't want too anymore. Lance shook his head while laughing and grabbed the chocolate chips.

"Let's go. Any ideas for after-."

*Memory concludes*

I bumped into something soft, and I groaned. There were little sparks, and I knew instantly who it was.

"Laura," Lance nodded in my direction and pushed his cart down the aisle. I felt a frown on my face and wanted to see him. Talk to him. Kiss him.

"Lance!" I exclaimed, running towards him. I underestimated how fast I was going until I ran into Lance for the second time that day.

Lance almost tripped over his cart, but he caught himself on a shelf.

"Laura, I don't have time for you," he growled and pushed me into one of the shelves. My shoulder hit my cart and I fell on my butt. Lance turned around for a bit and almost looked concerned. His shoulders tensed and he glared at me.

"Watch where you are going, bitch!" he swore, and left me on the ground. My face grew red and hot. I was tired of him treating me poorly. I was tired of being cussed at. I was tired of people beating me up!

"Lance, come back!" I shouted furiously. Where was the sweet man that guided me around the store with cute nicknames for me? I had to check on him. What was going on?

"Lance?" I walked into a darker part of the store and heard a whimper. I turned towards the direction of the sound and saw one of the shelves falling in my direction.

I managed to avoid the impact and looked to see who pushed the shelf in my direction.

"Hey!" I yelled.

Someone pushed me to the ground, and I rolled over on my side to the other side of the aisle. I narrowly dodged someone's heels, but the fight wasn't over yet.

I got up quickly and managed to dodge another attack. My attacker was a young woman my age in pink heels. Her long black hair was in a ponytail and her long legs were on display in her short shorts.

"Bitch!" she yelled, and I recognized her voice and the word I had been hearing all day. She left me for dead in the desert. I had found the person that invaded my room and most importantly, I had found my mother's killer.

I was tired of this drama, and I kicked her in the stomach. She growled and shoved me to the ground. Her heel was on my throat, and I struggled to push her foot off it. My vision started darkening, but I bit her ankle.

"Ouch!" she hissed. I used that second to run through the store away from my attacker and into my car. My car's engine roared, and I sped away from the store. I felt pathetic. That woman injured me like it was child's play.

"So much for shopping," I muttered and gripped tightly on the steering wheel. I managed to escape again, but it was too close for comfort. She was stronger than me and we both knew it.

After I filled up the car with gas, I finally calmed down enough to head back to work. I fixed my brown hair into a neat bun before I walked in.

Everything was going well. Until it wasn't. In my dad's office, Lance was kissing the psychopath that just tried killing me.

"Lance!" I yelled. "Get away from her!"

He turned around to face me and possessively wrapped his arms around the girl.

"Why are you making a scene? This is Macy," Lance explained casually. "Come over and meet her."

"She killed my mother!" I screamed and pointed at her. I didn't realize my dad was in the corner and he walked in big strides towards me.

"Calm down!" He was glaring at me and tried pushing me out the door. I grabbed the side edge of the door and I stepped on my dad's foot.

"Stop it!" he growled, but I was already halfway across the room.

"She killed mom and just tried to kill me. Why won't you listen?" I screeched and raised my arms in frustration.

"No, you listen!" My eyes widened and I faced Lance. He had yelled at me and stepped in front of Macy as if I was going to harm her. Actually, that was a good idea.

"Macy is my chosen mate, and you won't lay a finger on her," Lance growled and hissed in my direction.

What? He chose Macy as his mate instead of accepting me as his mate.

"How could you choose her over me?" I whimpered. I wanted to run out the door so bad, but I needed to hear what he would say.

"She's everything you will never be. Stay away from her." The room was silent after that, but my heart was shattering so loudly.

"Reject me, then." I didn't want him to, but I was starting to not want to be his mate anymore. How could be choose my mom's killer? The woman that tried to me kill me.

Lance looked really uncomfortable and faced his head towards his chosen mate. Freaking. Macy. Not me. Did I push him away too much?

"He's mine, bitch," she spat out and ran her manicured nails through Lance's hair before kissing him. I wanted to claw her to pieces. She had written those same words in my room, but I was so sure back then she was talking about my dad.

I pushed past my dad and almost went into my room, but I remember how Macy invaded my room. Tears were falling on the ground, and I locked myself in my car.

I couldn't ever imagine forgiving Lance for this. He made me feel special and then crushed me to bits. What did Macy have that I didn't? She was a killer, and I wasn't? She looked like a model, and I wasn't? Why did he have to choose her? Why? Why? Why?

I wanted to get as far away as possible from the office. Everyone was probably consoling Macy and gossiping about me the minute I went out the door. As far as anyone knew, I was a jealous woman that couldn't bear to see Lance happy with someone else.

If I was full of hatred and energy, I would put that to good use. I checked in at the pack house and used the gym to vent. I received a text message from an unknown number, and I opened it without thinking.

Unknown number: Enjoy your trip with your dad. It will be your last.

I looked at the threat and the waterworks started again. I crumbled on the ground and sobbed into my knees, hanging my head in defeat. That text was someone rubbing salt into my wounds and the sting wasn't leaving me anytime soon.

My phone was ringing, but I put it on silent. I was grieving a love that was just starting to bloom.

There was a pounding on the door.

I grabbed a weight and inched towards the door cautiously. After the day I had, I wasn't going to take any more chances.

The door opened with a loud creak, and I gasped.