Chapter 19: Finding Her *Lance's POV*

*Lance's Perspective*

I woke up at 7 AM and started making breakfast burritos. My parents trickled in as soon as the smell of breakfast wafted through the house. When breakfast was done, I left to get Laura.

She grew more distant as she stayed at the cabin, but she seemed to like my family. Our family. Everything that was mine belonged to her.

I knocked on the door to her room and cracked it.

"Laura, breakfast is ready."

The room was dead silent, and I turned on the light. I couldn't see her, and I wandered around the cabin. She had to be here somewhere.

"Laura!" I shouted, fearing creeping in. Where was she? I stepped outside and took in the smell of the woods. I walked outside and nearly ripped out my hair when I saw my car was gone. Damn it!

"Lance, breakfast is getting cold. Did you tell Laura it's ready?" my mom asked, and I punched a tree. My knuckles were now red and had splinters digging into them.

"Lance, what's wrong?" My mom walked up to me and wrapped her arms around me. She noticed my car was missing and looked at me confused.

"Where is the car?" My mom responded with another question, and I shook my head.

"Laura's gone, Mom. I don't know where she is," I told her. I depressingly looked at the spot where my car was usually parked, and I sighed.

"Henry!" My mom called for my dad, and he came out with a shotgun in hand. His eyes assessed the area and he frowned.

"What is it, love?"

"Can you pack a bag of clothes, food, and water for Lance? He needs to leave for a while. He'll also need to use our car."

My dad widened his eyes and peered from the porch. He saw my car wasn't there and he sighed.

"Cold breakfast it is. I'll get the stuff ready," my dad mumbled but did what his wife requested.

"Lance, come in and eat some breakfast quickly. You are going to need your strength." I nodded and ate breakfast with her. After we finished eating, my father came in with two big bags of supplies.

"I also packed some stuff for Laura. You're going after her, aren't you?" My dad knew the answer already, but I nodded, nonetheless. We walked out to my father's prize possession. His silver truck had been passed down from his father.

He unwillingly gave me the keys and walked back into the house. My mom shook her head in disbelief.

"You know how he is, Lance. Go get your girl!" We hugged once more, and I followed the tracks that took me to the main road.

I needed to find her. I couldn't find the words to tell her, but Phoenix and her pack were hunting us. I told my parents, and they accepted the risk, but it still was hard putting them in harm's way. When I received a call from our pack weeks ago at the hospital, I received important information.

Information that Laura should have been told. I had hurt her so much and I didn't have the strength to do it again. Sometimes I have flashes of what I did to her, and they reply in my mind often. I'm already a monster, but I selfishly kept the truth from her.

Someone had spotted her mother. Several people observed her mother's store after the car accident, but there was no sign of her or her phone. She disappeared and it was assumed that she died. I wished them a happy reunion, but Phoenix was hot on her trail. If we went after her mother, there's no telling what kind of abuse we would have suffered.

I needed to protect her. We were both broken enough, and I didn't want to give her any false hope. If Laura found her mother, they would probably both meet a cruel death. Thinking of Laura being harmed made my heart break.