Chapter 6: My Mate vs Steven

*Sensitive content*

*There is an attempted rape in this chapter*

Someone was playing with strands of my hair when I woke up.

"Lance, stop touching my hair," I growled, but when I opened my eyes, I was shocked by the surprise visitor. Steven was there with some chips and salsa, staring at me expectantly.

"Who's this Lance?" Steven asked with a hint of jealousy.

"What are you doing here?" I whispered.

"I heard what happened from someone in the pack. I've been keeping tabs on you for years because I never moved on from you," Steven whispered and lay next to me on the hospital bed.

"I love you, Laura."

"It's been years since we last saw each other, Steven. You can't just show up and expect me to love you again," I muttered and hid under my blanket. I didn't want to see him.

"I'm sorry about that night. Amber was my mate, but she has passed away. I'm sorry we ended up on bad terms. I want to make things right with you. Please give me a second chance," Steven pleaded, and I peeked at him.

"Fine. I'll try to forgive you, but it is going to take time."

"Time with you is all I want. Thanks, babe," he said sexily, and we cuddled on the bed with my head on his shoulder. I missed him more than I realized, and I decided I didn't want to let him go again. I couldn't blame him for wanting to be with his mate. I thought of Lance and his brown eyes that I wanted to dive into. If I could forgive Steven, should I try to forgive Lance? It was years ago, but the wounds still seem fresh.

Lance walked in with some food but stopped in his tracks at the sight of another man with his mate.

"Get away from her!" Lance yelled and yanked Steven away.

"Who are you? Laura is my girlfriend, moron! Leave us alone. Can't you tell she's recovering and doesn't need you causing a ruckus!" Steven yelled. When he called me his girlfriend, I frowned. He hadn't earned that title and it felt like an empty promise.

"I'm Lance freaking Knight and that is my mate!" he roared. Steven was thrown out of the room, and I heard bones cracking as Steven transformed into a wolf.

Lance accepted the challenge and transformed into a beautiful black wolf. I was tempted to touch his fur and breathe in his scent.

My stomach rumbled and I reached into the stash of food Lance brought for me. Lasagna, piping hot still! I was so going to devour this. Lance and Steven were still fighting, but I didn't know exactly who to cheer for. I wanted to honor my promise to give Steven a chance, but my chemistry with Lance was indescribable. I decided to cheer on Steven because he truly listened to me. Lance never respected my boundaries and was trying to force the mating bond on me.

"You got this, Steven! I support you!" I cheered and imagined I had some pom poms with me.

A flash of hurt passed over Lance's face and he was punched several times by Steven while he was distracted. It was as if Lance had lost the will to fight. I couldn't help but feel guilty, but Lance was the one to start the fight. He put himself in this situation.

"Stop fighting you two!" A wave of déjà vu hit me as I remembered the day, I met Lance and they both fought on that football field. Since then, both of them have broken my heart. Though I hadn't quite forgiven Lance either, I didn't want him to be hurt.

"Stop it!" Lance looked over in my direction and he stopped fighting. Steven took this opportunity to bite Lance on the side of his neck. There was a loud howl and Lance lay on the ground.