Chapter 13: The Elevator

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

I watched the surveillance as Lance lay in his cell. He wasn't awake yet from the tranquilizers and painkillers they injected him yesterday. Water was dripping from the roof into Lance's cell and a puddle was forming by his paws. He hadn't shifted back yet.

They had to put a muzzle on him and some boots that were chained to a wall. He would hardly be able to walk or even move.

"Laura, you need to rest. We'll give you a call when he wakes up," my father sighed.

"He might not even wake up, Dad. He's been through so much the past few weeks."

The news of Lance being my mate had spread through the pack like wildfire. I had received several hugs and cards with good intentions, but it felt like a long funeral, and he wasn't even dead yet.

"I'm sorry about what happened to him. We'll be here for you."

"Let me give you a hug, dear. I'm sorry for your loss."

My dad and I turned our heads towards the surveillance at the sound of howling. Lance was awake in his cell and howling in pain. My eyes shifted to my dad's, and he read the expression on my face. I wanted to see Lance, but he shook his head 'no.'

I sniffled and sat down in a chair. Some men walked into the cell and injected him with something. Lance calmed down and stared at the wall in silence.

A man stood in front of my mate's cell, watching him with calculating eyes.

"I am Dr. Eisenholver. I will be your doctor during the duration of your stay," the man spoke, sitting in a chair several feet away from Lance's cell.

"If you can hear me howl," Dr. Eisenholver instructed, but Lance ignored him and stared at the wall. The doctor wrote a few notes and continued to persuade Lance to do little tasks. With no success, the doctor left the chair and talked to the guards scouting the perimeter.

I sighed and rested my head on my hands. I was exhausted and it was catching up with me.

My dad had to leave to go to the company and I couldn't stay in the surveillance room without him, so I was forced to leave. We parted ways and I grabbed some lunch.

A plan was forming in my head. I couldn't be a guard, but I had heard several people volunteered in the mental institution to prepare food and keep the place clean.

I took an elevator down and headed towards the receptionist. She wrapped up the call and flashed a smile at me.

"How can I help you?" she asked.

"I was interested in doing volunteer work here. Is there any paperwork I need to fill out?" I responded.

With another cheery smile, she handed me multiple pamphlets to read and some forms to fill out. Once I read everything and filled the documents with my information, she entered the data into her computer. Her fingers were flying all over the keyboard and she looked up at me shortly after.

"Perfect. Here is the link to sign up for shifts and let me know if you have any questions."

I nodded my head in gratitude and put the link in my phone. Yay! There was a shift for tonight.

I signed up to be a custodian and went to the bathroom to tidy myself up.

I walked out to my car and slept for a few hours. After an hour of being awake, I was finally presentable and ready to work.

I checked in and received the instructions I needed for my position. I grabbed the cleaning supplies and started sweeping the halls.

It was easy work, and it took my mind off things for a little bit. Before I knew it, I was humming a sweet little melody. An hour later, I was ready to sweep the area by Lance's cell.