Chapter 18: The Car Chase

"Lance!" I shouted and he jumped up in surprise.

"The black car speeding behind us has a gun!" I yelled and Lance checked his mirrors again. The car hit the back of our car and the car jerked forward from the impact. The car behind us increased its speed and I double-checked to make sure we were both wearing our seatbelts. Check and check. Good.

"Dammit!" Lance cursed and changed lanes. Cars were starting to speed up to get away from our car collisions. I watched as the speed of Lance's car went from 70 miles per hour to 95 miles per hour.

I looked behind us and saw a man lift the gun towards our car.

"He's going to shoot!" I squealed and ducked for cover. Lance continued to accelerate until we were going 110 miles per hour. I'm going to die. I'm going to die. Aaaaaah!

Despite Lance's speeding and excellent maneuvering, we couldn't escape that car. Another black car crept out from the original one and I saw the man in that car also had a gun.

"Lance, there's another car. They're armed."

Lanced checked his mirrors once more and gripped the steering wheel tightly. The fear got the best of my nerves, and I started breathing rapidly. I was having a panic attack. I closed my eyes and tried to calm my breathing, but it wasn't doing the trick.

Lance's gaze lingered on me for a moment, and he rested his right hand on my knee. I grabbed his hand, and I started calming down after a few minutes. Lance made several turns and eventually, we lost the cars trailing us.

Lance started calming down and we pulled over so Lance could grab us some drinks. I stayed in the car and waited impatiently for him to come back. I noticed the keys were still in the ignition and I started scheming.

I could leave right now and go wherever I wanted. Lance had his own agenda he was hardly talking to me about, and I felt uncomfortable being around him. He seemed to still have feelings for me, but I didn't feel the same way. We had such a negative past together. There was the cheating and attempted murders, and he held me back from avenging my father's death. How could I move past that? I couldn't.

After a few minutes of thinking, I had a plan. I would go with Lance to his parents' pack to recover and get supplies. When Lance was distracted, I would escape and never see him again.

One of the car doors opened and Lance dropped off some water and soda. He handed me a foam cup and I saw it had Sprite. My favorite soda. I started sipping on the beverage and Lance also handed me a bag of Lays.

Lance sat down in the driver's seat and put his drink down in the cup holder. I also put my down and waited for him to say something.

"You didn't leave," he noted. I nodded, hoping he couldn't see how I truly felt. I didn't today, but oh boy, was I planning on it. No one could stop me. Not even the Moon Goddess herself.

"We have about another three hours before we arrive at my old pack. Let me know if we need to pull over. Oh, and you can sleep if you want," Lance rambled, and I smiled slightly. Looks like he lost his flirting capabilities over the past few months.

"Fine," I mumbled and closed my eyes. When I opened them again two hours later, the sun was setting beautifully. Hues of purple and pink filled the skies. I noticed we had pulled over to the side of the path and I looked towards Lance to give him a questioning look.

Lance was snoring softly, his head leaning against the window. He looked so peaceful, and I didn't want to take that away from him. However, I couldn't relieve myself without his assistance, so I nudged his shoulder until he woke up.

"Laura, what time is it?" Lance rubbed his eyes and went back to laying his head on the window.

"Lance, I need to use the restroom," I pleaded with him, and he shifted towards me.