6. bonding time

It was that guy, dressed in the blue and white apron, black hair tied up in a low ponytail. He was holding a card holder in his hand.

"Oh, thanks," San said, walking over to retrieve it. Rina peeked from behind San and happily waved at the black haired guy, "hello uncle!"

Uncle?

"Rina sweetie," he affirmed, getting both their attention.

The bakery guy could feel the tension in the atmosphere, so he bowed his head, explaining: "I was at the ice cream shop too, you didn't see me. When you didn't come back for the holder, the owner told me to look for you." Then he turned to Rina: "hey kiddo, tell your appa you love him."

She hesitated, a little embarrassed by her actions, before tilting her head up and apologising:
"sorry appa...I love you."

San was just as embarrassed that a stranger had to tell his kid to say I love you to him. Especially, this stranger that always made him feel some sort of, strange way.

The three of them just stood there awkwardly for a few seconds. San finally broke the silence: "we'll get going. Come on Rina."

"Noooo, I'm not going." She folded her arms, pouting.

"Well I'm going. You can stay out here tonight." He proceeded to slowly walk away.

Rina ignored him, but when San disappeared from her sight, she started crying.

San immediately turned back and rushed to comfort her. "I'm sorry, sweetie. I know you want to visit your friends. I'll make arrangements to go back okay?"

Rina stopped crying and gave him a big hug. He didn't know exactly how they were going to go back to Namhae, and if it was even possible. He hoped the little girl would forget about it eventually.

The black haired guy watched as the two left. They had to stop meeting like this. What kind of kdrama moment did he get himself into?

_________________________________________

The following Saturday was very windy, and San planned to go kite flying with Rina. She hadn't brought up the Namhae thing since then, so he figured that she'd forgiven him.

They boarded the bus that would take them to the park which had a big open field for activities like this.

It was a little crowded with other families. Kids were scrambling and chasing each other around, and some were indeed kite flying. The father and daughter pair set their things down on a picnic mat.

Rina held onto the kite which San bought for her, it was diamond shaped and had a cute hello kitty pattern. She observed the people around the park; most kids were accompanied by their mom and dad. They were a complete family.

San noticed the longing look in her eyes. He gave her a few rubs on the back and they moved to the kite flying zone.

"Hold the kite up in your left hand, and the spool in your right. When you're ready, let the line out," San guided her hands, and in a blink of an eye the kite was flying in the sky. Rina watched in awe as the breeze carried the kite. "Try walking with the kite. Hold on tight don't let go!" She gripped the spool tightly and took slow steps, a huge smile flashed across her face when the kite followed along, still flapping in the wind.

San took over when her arm got tired. She used his phone to snap some pictures of him, and some silly selfies of herself making goofy faces. It was a beautiful and memorable experience for the both of them as they flew the kite together, video-ing the entire moment.

"Appa this is amazing!!" Rina exclaimed, her hair blowing in the wind. San snapped a few more pictures just as the wind began to die down. The kite slowly descended, falling into San's grip.

They went back to their picnic mat for a break. He'd packed a picnic basket with all their favourite snacks and drinks. Rina stuffed a sandwich in her mouth, humming in satisfaction.

"Thank you for bringing me out today appa."

San caressed her cheek and encouraged her to eat whatever she wanted.

They spent the rest of the day playing together at the park, the playground swings being Rina's favourite. By the time they finished dinner, she was so tired. San carried her all the way back home.