Chapter Four

When Nina opened her eyes, a hint of panic swirled through her, as she had no idea where she was or what had happened. All she knew was she hurt. And it was not a pain she'd ever felt before. This stung. It burned like dragon fire.

Her hand went to her upper right side. The arrow was gone. A soft bandage wound about her in its place.

She stared up into the darkness. A light breeze wafted through, a hint of jasmine on it. She was in an open air room, with a high ceiling. There was something on that ceiling, but it was too dark and she was too tired to make heads or tails of it.

It was eerily quiet. Only the occasional rustle of the breeze through leaves broke the silence. There were not nocturnal animals about. No wargs. No orcs.

Thank the Maker. She hated orcs. Hated them almost as much as she hated dwarves.

Or, rather, one dwarf in particular.

And he'd gotten away from her. She'd been so foolish, jumping between him and that blasted arrow. It would have served him right to be hit. At least then she could have taken his head back to Tarog. Maybe only his head, but she had the feeling she wouldn't have cared all that much at that point. After all, Tarog only wanted his head as it was, so it would have been more than enough.

But she'd failed. She'd failed, she had no idea where she was, or how long she'd even been there.

And now she'd have to start her hunt for Thorin all over again.

Damn it.

"Ah, you're awake."

Nina jumped at the soft, unexpected voice coming from behind her, which sent another hot sting sweeping through her. Biting back her hiss and the colorful oath bubbling to her lips, she craned her neck to see a slender elf with sleek, dark red hair approaching. "Where am I?"

"Rivendell's Healing Room." The elf came up alongside the bed. "I am Kenia."

"Are you the one to removed the arrow?"

"I am. You did beautifully." Kenia drew up a stool and sank into it. "May I take a look?"

Nina nodded slowly. "Of course."

She stared up at the ceiling as the healer pushed up her tunic and lifted the bandage. The night air skimmed cool along her skin, and she sucked in a sharp breath as the healer pressed gentle fingers about the wound. "Take care," she growled, "it's still quite tender."

"It will be for some time," Kenia told her as she set the bandage back into place. "But it looks good. In time, you'll have only a tiny scar as a reminder. Do you remember what happened, Miss...?"

"Nina. My name is Nina. And yes, I mostly remember. An orc pack." She looked over at Kenia. "And two dwarves? There were two dwarves in the wood as well. Are they still here?"

"They are, yes." Kenia told her with a bob of her head. "King Thorin of Erebor and his lieutenant Dwalin Fundinson. They brought you here. The king seems to think you saved his life."

Despite the hot sting in her side, Nina managed a smile. Thorin and his lackey were still there. All was not lost just yet. "The arrow I took was meant for him."

"And you positioned yourself between him and it intentionally?"

"I did, yes."

"He will be indebted to you."

"I care not about that. As long as he is unharmed."

"He is."

Nina let her eyes close. "Good."