Chapter Eighteen

It was almost two in the morning by the time The Black Swan closed, and Nina looked forward to going back to the flat over on Stone Street, two blocks to the north, and getting some well-earned rest.

She was taking out the last of the garbage when a dark figure emerged from the shadows. "Did you think I didn't recognize you?"

Nina spun about, jerking free the small dagger she kept tucked into her belt after the tavern closed, for just such an occasion. But then she realized she knew the low, growly voice and so did not swing the blade anywhere near Thorin, who wisely stood just beyond reach anyway.

"Are you mad, sneaking up on a body this way? I could have cut you to ribbons."

Thorin moved into the path of the silvery moonlight. "I'm surprised you didn't." His expression neutral, he just held her gaze. "And, as you can see, I live, so that would suggest no one claimed the bounty on my head, doesn't it?"

She scowled up at him. "I've work to do."

But when she tried to move past him, he stepped into her path. She added a glare to her scowl. "Move."

"You have no right to be angry with me, you know," he told her. "I didn't betray you."

She flinched at that. "And I didn't betray you, either."

"Not for lack of trying, only for lack of courage."

The dagger in her grasp was warm and light and it would take but a blink of an eye for her to swing and slit his throat. But, her hand remained at her side. "You're right, Thorin. I lack courage. That would be the only reason, wouldn't it?"

His eyes glinted dangerously in the silvery light. "I don't know about the only reason, but it would be the main one, to be certain."

"So, that's why you came back? To pick a fight with me? Does your wife know you're here?"

"No. No. And she is not my wife."

That his words brightened her spirits also irritated her to no end. She shouldn't care, shouldn't be either happy or relieved that he hadn't married in the weeks since they parted ways. But at the same time, it had been only weeks since they parted ways. A royal wedding would no doubt take far longer to plan.

And why did she care, anyway? She shouldn't.

But she did.

"But is she waiting for you? Does she know you've come in search of me?"

"No, she's in Erebor."

"Waiting for you."

"Yes."

"Why are you here, then?"

A low sigh rose to his lips and he shook his head. "Honestly? I haven't a clue. I wasn't expecting to see you here. Or anywhere, for that matter."

"Well, I needed a place to live and to work until Esgaroth is rebuilt." She looked up at him. He looked far less tired than he had the last time she'd seen him. Less angry as well. "Not that it is any of your concern."

"I know but..." He glanced skyward for a moment, then met her eyes once more, "I'm concerned just the same."

"Well, you needn't be," she told him, then drew a deep breath before adding the words that would hurt her to speak, "because you need focus on your life, Thorin. Perhaps that woman is not your wife, but you are together, aren't you?"

Although she'd braced herself for his answer, in reality, nothing could have done that, for when he slowly nodded and said, "Yes," she felt as if the word had punched her in the stomach.