Chapter Nine

Thankfully, the sun broke through the clouds and the brisk wind swept the storms out overnight. Nina lifted her face to the warm rays as she emerged from the damp cave. The chills were gone. She'd actually slept fairly well. And now they were very near the base of the mountains on eastern side. With any luck, the worst of the journey was behind them.

The dull thud of boots on damp earth reached her ears and she turned as Thorin stepped out into the sunlight alongside her. "How do you fare this morning, Miss Nina?"

"I'm dry. And warm finally." She held out his oilskin. "And I thank you for this."

"Of course."

"Is Dwalin joining us sometime this morning?"

To her surprise, he smiled. "I see you feel the same hostility toward him as he does you."

She shrugged. "I give as good as I get."

"As I said, he takes his duty seriously."

"And as I told him last eve, if I'd wanted you dead, you'd both be dead by now."

"Last eve?" Thorin's smile faded. "When did you tell him this?"

"While you were brooding over here."

"Brooding?" He glanced over in the direction she pointed. "I was not brooding."

"If you say so, but it certainly looked that way." She lifted her bedroll and moved to her pony to fasten it to the saddle. "What was on your mind?"

"Nothing you need worry about."

"Ahh... you keep your brooding to yourself. Good." She swung up onto the pony's back.

"I do not brood."

"Thorin, you were staring off into the dark forever." She affixed him with a long look. "That's brooding."

"I was thinking."

"You were brooding. It's all right. You can admit it."

He scowled. "There is nothing to admit. Dwalin! Where are you?"

"I'm coming. No need to holler at me, ye know." Dwalin emerged from the cave, what remained of his dark hair poked up at odd angles and dark smudges shadowed below his eyes. He looked as if he'd been awake all night and she wondered if it was because he had himself convinced she was going to run them both through while they slept.

"No offense, but you look awful," Thorin told him bluntly.

"Thank ye. I appreciate that."

"Did you not sleep?"

"No, if ye must know. I didn't." Dwalin climbed into his saddle and there was no mistaking the darkness in his glare as he turned it on her. "Someone had to keep watch."

"Keep watch?" Thorin swung up into his saddle and gathered the reins. "Over what? There was no one to worry about."

"Aye, there was one." Dwalin bobbed his head in her direction.

Thorin glanced at her, then rolled his eyes. "Have you gone mad, Dwalin? I thought you were joking, Miss Nina. You really told him that?"

She shrugged. "I did, yes. And it's true. I've had plenty of opportunity to do you both harm and yet," she shot Dwalin a pointed look, "you're both fine. It's almost as if someone has misjudged me and isn't man enough to admit it."

She didn't wait for either of them to respond, but clicked her tongue against her teeth and guided her pony back toward the road, smiling as she heard Thorin growl, "Would you stop already?"