Chapter Twenty

Nina couldn't remember the last time it hurt to breathe, and she was ever so thankful when the healer at Erebor made the pain stop. The tube was only slightly more comfortable, but at least she could breathe.

The first two days she was in the infirmary were a blur, as she slept more often than she was awake. But from what she recalled, the healer's name was Narnerra and she was a dwarf with blonde hair and blue eyes and an easy manner. She didn't seem at all concerned with having a daughter of Man in her infirmary, and neither did her partner, Óin. They treated Nina with courtesy and kindness and Narnerra especially reminded her of her mother, which brought tears to Nina's eyes her first night there.

The most surprising part of the entire ordeal was Thorin. He'd been to see her several times and there was no sense of anger about him any longer. He made no mention of what happened at Mirkwood, no mention of the bounty, no mention of any of it, which confused her to a certain extent.

But she tried not to dwell on it, and instead concentrated on healing, so she could go back to the flat in Dale, as Sigrid had to be worried about her, and Harald had no idea what had happened, only that she'd stopped coming to work. She only hoped she still had a job when she returned.

Narnerra, however, was not about to let her leave until she was satisfied Nina wasn't about to drop dead. And that meant remaining in the infirmary until further notice, despite the fact that Nina was so impatient to leave.

On her third day, Nina was relieved to have the blasted uncomfortable tube removed from her side. "I was going mad with that, you know."

Narnerra smiled as she bandaged the small incision she'd finished sewing. "I know, it's not the most comfortable thing in the world. But, it's better than not being able to breathe."

"That I will agree with. So," Nina tugged her tunic back down, "does this mean I might be able to return home today?"

Narnerra shook her head. "Not quite yet, I'm afraid. I want to keep an eye out for infection. Another day or so should be time enough."

Biting back an impatient sigh, Nina offered up a long look. "I really do need to go. It feels as if an eternity has passed since I last saw the sun."

"Another day won't hurt."

"Narnerra."

"It won't. But, if you are so impatient to see sunlight, why not go and sit in the courtyard for a bit?"

"A courtyard? You mean to tell me there's an actual courtyard here?"

"Yes. Come and I will show you."

Nina slowly swung her legs over the side of the bed. She was still achy, from the battle, from the wound, from the treatment for it, but as she got to her feet, it eased a little. Then it eased more with each step as Narnerra led her out of the private chambers and through the infirmary's main room.

Several dwarves were there, and she felt their stares as she passed them by. Narnerra led her down the narrow corridor to the door at the end, which opened into a sun-splashed courtyard shaded in one corner by towering oak trees.

"You won't try to run off now, will you?"

Nina slowly shook her head. "No. I won't. I give you my word."

"Very well. Enjoy the sun."

Nina smiled, pulling away from the healer to step out into the middle of the courtyard. In the distance, a tower of black and gray mottled stone rose toward the sky, but that was the only other structure around her.

The sun wrapped warm arms about her and she lifted her face to it, letting her eyes close as the gentle breeze wafted through her hair. For the first time since Smaug destroyed Esgaroth, she felt at complete peace.