Chapter Sixteen

His first few days back were far busier than he'd anticipated, as he had much to catch up on in his absence. But he had no complaints about what had been left for him, as Dís had done a more than competent job in managing things in his stead. Even so, she was also very willing and happy to turn his duties back over to him.

He had been back in Erebor for almost a week when Dís rapped on the door to his flat. "Thorin, do you have a moment?"

He'd been on his sofa, head back, eyes closed, and lifted his head to call, "It's open. Come in."

The door swung open and he braced himself for the whirlwind that was his sister as she barreled into the room, the beads woven into her beard clacking with every step. "I was beginning to wonder if you'd decided to take the day off."

He smiled. "No. I was up late last eve with Balin, catching up on the progress at Esgaroth and Dale. Men built at a far slower pace than dwarves, it seems, and they like to pad their bills as much as possible."

Dís' forehead wrinkled slightly. "Are we being cheated?"

"No more than usual and with Balin's keen eyes keeping close watch, we catch each and every mistake before the bill is paid. It's amazing how many mathematical errors find their way into invoices."

"Perhaps we should rethink—"

"No. I gave my word, Dís." He shook his head slowly. "And I went back on it once. I cannot do so again, but I also will not let them take me for a fool, either. Balin is far more diplomatic than I will ever be, and so when he calls them on their nonsense, they rectify it at once."

"You've more patience than I would, I'll have you know. I do not look kindly on those who think to steal from me."

"Nor do I, but in all honesty, I think Bard is honest as well and if we didn't catch it, he most likely would."

Dís hardly looked convinced even as she replied, "If you say so."

"Either way, you needn't worry about it." He sat up, hands clasped between his knees. "Now, I know you came here not to be bored with construction news that you've already been privy to."

"You know me well, brother." She skirted the stone table before the sofa to settle alongside him. "There is something I wished to ask you and I hope you'll not think I am meddling too much."

"Which of course means you are about to meddle." He said it with a smile, for no matter how much meddling Dís did—and she could be quite meddlesome when the mood struck—her intentions were of the best where he was concerned and he understood that, even if it threatened to drive him into madness time and again.

"Yes, it does." Her hand came to rest on his knee. "Did you still wish me to see about inviting Elisin to come stay for a bit?"

He sighed softly. Elisin was the woman he'd at one point planned to court. She was a distant cousin, and one he'd known most of his life. He wasn't madly in love with her, but they got on well and should Mahal see fit for them to have children, she would be a fine mother.

But that was before Nina Carren came into his life.

Nina.

His stomach curdled with fury at her betrayal. Why couldn't he simply forget about her? She'd played him false, pretended to care, all the while plotting to end his life.

For five thousand in gold.

Trouble was, he couldn't forget about her and no matter how busy he tried to be, she was always there, lingering in the back of his mind. Despite his best efforts, he couldn't shake the memory of her, and as more time passed, he found himself on the verge of pining for her and that was the last thing he wanted or needed.