The Walls of Jericho Come Down

Branch stayed at Poppy's house that night. They slept on the floor, placing blankets atop each other and letting them lay next to each other. Poppy told him that Viva was going to stay with Clay for the night.

Branch laid his head on Poppy's lap, and she played with his hair, running her fingers through the strands.

"How did you get your powers?"

"Spider bite." Branch laughed. "Actually, it was crazy, that lizard lady was actually a scientist, she experimented on it and I guess she gave me my powers in a way."

Poppy started to twirl the hair around her fingers. "How did you find that out?"

Branch hummed. "I dunno, I kinda guessed, and then she told me too."

"Didn't she know who you were?" Branch's eyes widened. "Aren't you scared of her revealing who you are?"

Branch quickly sat up, wincing at the strain he put on his injured leg. "Branch! Be careful." Poppy scolded him.

Branch shook his head. "Poppy this is bad."

Poppy sighed. "There's nothing you can do now, just hope she doesn't say anything."

Branch pressed his palms into his eyes, hoping to rub the stress away. "I don't even want to think about it."

Poppy's lips created a fine line and she nodded. "That's fair. What do you want to talk about?"

Branch looked into the dark living room, staring at Poppy's figure. "What's you're favorite color?"

Poppy snorted. "You won't believe me." Branch raised his eyebrow and Poppy continued. "It's blue."

"Your room is pink."

"Yes."

"So you're lying?"

Poppy laughed and shook her head, "What's yours?"

Branch thought. He'd never been asked this question. He'd always kept to himself, separating school as just a responsibility, and home being where he could relax. So he never bothered to make friends, he felt no need to. He thought of the color that reminds him of happiness, when he closed his eyes, only one color popped up. "You wont believe me."

"Shoot."

"Pink."

Poppy groaned, "I think we just might be in two souls in the wrong bodies."

Branch smiled with giddy and played with the blanket in front of him. "Poppy, I think that you're one of the best people I'll ever meet."

Poppy looked at him with a kind smile. "Do you see me in your life forever?"

Branch's heart skipped a beat, "One way or another we'll be stuck with each other."

Poppy raised a brow. "What do you mean?"

Branch realized what he said and stopped his hands from playing with the blanket. He couldn't ruin the proposal for Clay.

"Nothing Poppy, what are you talking about?"

"You know something! Don't you?!"

Branch looked away and thought of how he could distract her. "Well, no, but I think for spring break you'll be invited on our family vacation."

Poppy gasped. "I haven't been on a vacation in years! That would be so fun! Where are you guys going?!"

"Bruce owns a place in Rhode Island, apparently it's huge. Tons of rooms, even a separate guest house."

"You think your brothers would let us stay in the same bed by then?" Branch blushed and bit his lip.

"Even if they said no, we wouldn't have to listen to them."