The Podrace and Goodbyes

Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Owen, Padmé, and Anakin landed at Mos Espa and made their way towards a junk shop.

"This junk shop belongs to our friend - Watto. It's the only shop in town with ship parts." Anakin said.

Once they entered, they saw a toydarian.

"Anakin! Owen! You brought friends, huh?" said the toydarian.

"They just need parts for their ship, Watto. Then they'll be on their way." said Owen.

"We need parts for a J-type 327 Nubian starship. Do you have any, Sir?" Qui-Gon asked.

"I have parts that should work just fine. But Anakin still owes me for the parts he borrowed from me for his podracer that was destroyed in his last race. So, It'll cost you a lot more than what the parts normally cost if you want to buy them." said Watto.

"Aw, come on, Watto. I thought for sure I was gonna win that race and be able to pay you back." said Anakin.

"We have plenty of Republic credits. Those should do fine." said Qui-Gon.

"No, they won't. Republic credits don't count as currency this far out in the galaxy. And there's no where you can exchange them for money here, either." Watto said.

"Watto, there has to be something we can do to get those parts. Can't we work out a deal?" Anakin asked.

Watto put his hand on his chin and thought about this for a moment.

"The Boonta Eve Classic is today. I need a podracer I can enter in the race to win the prize money for me that we can split; but all I have is you, Anakin. But it doesn't matter because you don't have another pod to race, and even if you did, you'd probably end up in a fire ball of wreckage like last time." Watto mocked.

Anakin was quiet for a moment, then sighed.

"I have another podracer I've been working on." said Anakin.

"What?" said Owen in surprise.

"If I win the race, we don't even need to split the money, you can have it all, just give my friends the parts they need for their ship." Anakin told Watto.

"Anakin, when did you build another podracer?" Owen asked.

"Ahhh. So that's what those lesser quality parts I gave you were for. But what if you lose or are killed, huh? I still want something out of this." Watto told Anakin.

"We'll give you our ship. It has plenty of parts that are good salvage." said Qui-Gon as he pulled out a holographic device and showed a projection of Padmé's ship.

"What?!" said Obi-Wan.

"I never agreed to this." said Padmé.

"It's a deal." said Watto as he shook hands with Anakin and Qui-Gon.

They then left the junk shop.

"Qui-Gon, if Anakin loses that race or is killed then we won't have a ship at all to get off world with!" said Obi-Wan.

"I have faith in Anakin." Qui-Gon said confidently.

"Well, I don't." said Obi-Wan.

Anakin frowned at Obi-Wan's lack of faith in him. He found his lack of faith disturbing.

"If Anakin is a strong in the Force as we believe him to be, then he'll be fine. The Force will guide him if he truly and fully embraces it." said Qui-Gon.

"Why can't you just use one of those mind tricks I heard you Jedi can use on Watto to make him give us the parts?" Padmé asked.

"Jedi mind tricks only work on the weak minded. That toydarian may not be the smartest person on this planet, but he's still smart enough to resist the Force. I could sense that in him." said Qui-Gon.