Twenty Nine

"I need a minute." I said with a sigh and stepped away from the group, making my way outside and sitting down on the concrete.

In all honesty, I was starting to feel a little bit defeated.

It felt like everywhere we went, something bad or dark was lurking around the corner.

I just want answers about the afterlife.

Don't get me wrong, I love my abilities and what it's done to get me to open up, but it can be a little nerve wracking sometimes.

I just didn't want anyone to get hurt.

I pulled my knees up to my chest and looked up at the building, just taking it all in.

It was large, but it also held so many secrets that we would never fully know.

Where did this shadow man come from? When did it start? Why is he here? Why is he lurking on innocent victims? Or does he go after the ones that can only see him?

Even more, what if he was using his shapeshifting to look like a child? Could he be the one everyone would actually see before they would die?

Was my life on the line right now because I could see him and the rest of them can't?

"Hey.." Colby sat down behind me and pulled me into his embrace, resting his chin on my shoulder. "What's up, Soph? You don't seem like you're enjoying this."

He sounded a little sad.

Colby knew how excited I was for this opportunity, but ever since we picked back up on investigations at the museum, it's been tough on me.

This has been my dream job since I was a kid... was it going to be all for nothing?

"I know you're lost in that head of yours, talk to me." He said, peppering soft kisses on my shoulder.

"I'm a little nervous for us right now, if I'm being honest." I rested my hands on top of his, my gaze locked on the building. "Why is it everytime it feels like we're accomplishing something that there's a setback? I just want answers, not to have to deal with things that keep forcing me to tap out."

"Do you think you could have an attachment?" He asked, brushing his fingertips through my hair.

"I'd like to say I don't want to be like you guys, but I don't know anymore. After the concussion and our break, everything was fine. What happened to me in that museum?"

It was frustrating.

"Well, you did nearly get possessed." He said.

"Am I in over my head?" I turned around slowly to face him. "Like am I in too deep?"

Colby looked at me with gentle eyes, cupping my face in his hands. "Whatever it is Soph, we'll get through it together." I nodded. "You have all of us here, I promise you when I say that you are not alone."

He slowly stood up and held his hands out to me.

"Come on, we're almost done for the night and I need my badass girlfriend to lead the way." He flashed a smile at me. "Besides, they don't want to talk to me and Sam, you and Kat are the only ones making this work."

"Forget Sam and Colby, the ghost sisters always take over." I said, causing him to laugh.

Colby pulled me into a hug and I let out a content sigh as I pressed my head against his chest.

He always made me feel safe.

"One last thing." He said, causing me to look up. "What's that?"

He dipped his head down and pressed his lips to mine, causing me to melt into the kiss. My hands gripped at his shirt as it made me want to be as close to him as possible.

After a minute I pulled back, slipping my hand into his.

"Let's show them who's boss." He said and lead us back into the building where everyone was waiting.

"Are you alright?" Kat asked as she saw us come back in.

"I'm good, just needed a minute to collect myself. It can just be a little overwhelming sometimes." I flashed them a reassuring smile.

I hope they believed me...

Sam and Kat followed the way to the third floor, while Colby stayed beside me hand in hand, rubbing his thumb along it in a reassuring way. Ryan and Angelina slowly trailed behind us.

"You know... by the time we make it upstairs y'all are gonna be done with your investigation at this rate!" Angelina shouted, already out of breath after the second round of stairs.

"Don't be so sure of that." Sam said, glancing back as he turned the corner to head up the final flight of stairs. "This is redemption for you too. How cool will it be to tell your son when he's older that you did that and he was here too? That's pretty badass if you ask me."

"Just remind me to never go ghost hunting this pregnant, I'm going to sleep for two days straight after this." Angelina said as we reached the top floor.

The real redemption starts now.