Twenty Eight

"Alright, here we are." Angelina said as they walked into the room. "Thank god there's a chair." She huffed and sat down.

"Don't mind me, I need water and a snack." Ryan handed over both from her bag.

"Did we miss anything?" Ryan asked.

"Nope, we wanted to wait for you guys." Sam said.

I couldn't get over the lingering feeling of the shadow I saw.

It was still over there, but in the corner of my eye I could see it growing.

"What the fuck.." I mumbled to myself.

I didn't want to scare anyone or catch them off guard, but this was becoming weird.

The shadow figured went from the size of a child to the size of a grown man, and I watched as he walked over to a wall and pressed himself up against it.

He was watching us.

I was so distracted by this one figured that I missed another one walking over and standing beside him.

It was two men.

"Don't worry, she can't see us." The man said to the other.

"So she wasn't watching you?" The other asked.

"There's no way she can see us!" He exclaimed.

"I can see you." I retorted, causing both of them to look in my direction.

"Jimmy, we've been caught!" The man yelled.

"Who can you see?" Colby asked, but I didn't even bother to look over.

The real entertainment was in front of me.

"Can it Lester, we're fine!" Jimmy said with a huff.

"Why are you two down here and not on your floor?" I asked.

"What's it matter to you?" Lester asked. "You're just gonna rat us out!"

"Don't get your panties in a bunch over a question." I rolled my eyes in annoyance.

Why did spirits always wanna start with an attitude?

"Typically we play hide and seek with you on the third floor, not down here."

Beside me was Kat, and Sam handed her the XLS camera.

"Oh. My. GOD! There really are two figures right there!" She yelled as soon as they came into view on the screen.

"Did you think I was just losing my mind or something?" I asked with a laugh.

"I'm so glad my fat ass has snacks and a show, mama needed a break." Angelina laughed before stuffing more fruit snacks in her mouth.

"Who is it that's down here?" Sam asked.

"Jimmy and Lester, our favorite pranksters." I said with a grin, licking my attention back on them.

"Are you hiding from someone down here?" I asked.

"What? We can't be down here without reason?" Jimmy asked.

"You're always upstairs, something isn't right. You two are acting so weird. Why is the energy so off in this building tonight?" I let out a sigh and rubbed my hands over my face.

I just had a lingering feeling of doom, something wasn't right.

"Ryan, please go sit upstairs with Ang." I glanced over at them. "Seriously, now!"

"Take her warning seriously." Angelina said as she pushed herself up and out of the chair. Ryan got up from the floor and rested his hand on her back, helping her get upstairs.

"That poor girl is gonna go into labor if she keeps walking around this much." Kat said.

"Is everything okay?" Colby asked, setting his hand on top of mine.

"I can just feel it in my gut that something isn't right." I looked between the guys and my friends.

"She's onto us!" Lester exclaimed.

"Would you shut up! You can't give everything away! You wonder why you don't get included in these all the time." Jimmy rebutted.

"We'll that's a weird thing to say, considering that Jimmy and Lester do everything together. You two are up to no good." I continued to watch them.

"Stay out of it, this doesn't involve you!" Jimmy yelled out at me.

"Since when do either of you behave like this?" I asked. "If someone were to mimic you, it would have to be convincing... and this is not it."

"I told you she's onto us!" Lester yelled at Jimmy, but he ignored him.

"It's just a silly game of hide and seek." Jimmy said with a menacing grin. "We hide, you look for us. This entire building is our playground, stop pretending like you know everything."

"Then stop pretending as if I haven't played hide and seek with you before. It's on the third floor, and we know where you are based on the sound of footsteps. Not whatever this is!"

"We changed the game up." Lester said.

"I'm sure you did, but I have a hard time believing that one." I shook my head and looked over at everyone. "I want out of here, this isn't normal."

"Do you want to go back upstairs?" Colby asked and I nodded my head. "I don't want to stick around to find out."

Sam and Colby put away the equipment that they did have out.

The four of us got up, and I brushed any of the dirt off my pants and we made our way out of the basement and back upstairs.

"You two are free to keep exploring down there if you want, we didn't even make it to the boiler room." I said, feeling bad that I was once again interrupting an investigation.

"It's okay, Soph." Sam said. "Doesn't he like telling people to get out of his space anyways? I think this is fine."

I nodded and walked over to the gift shop, where Danielle was sitting on her phone.

"Is everything okay?" She asked, looking up from her phone.

"How often do you guys see Jimmy and Lester in the basement?" When I asked this question, you saw her face drop.

"Oh hunny, that's the shadow man." She said.

"The what?!" Kat asked in shock.

"Jimmy and Lester are never down there. But the shadow man can shape shift, it can be deceiving." She said.

"Not so deceiving when it can't even act like how they typically do. I thought something was up, things are just feeling really off tonight."

"If the shadow man is out playing games, id be careful if I were you. You never know what tricks he has up his sleeve." She said and I nodded.

I had to keep my friends safe.