Status Report

Stolas entered the nearby broom closet. It was certainly dark enough for his needs. He sat down cross-legged and opened his grimoire, which glowed faintly and lit up the room. Stolas traced two fingers along the designs on a certain page. A calming feeling came over him. He closed his eyes and all became still and quiet. The glow of the book faded out.

Stolas: Giveth me sight of my brethren that I may know their wellbeing. Giveth me sight. Giveth me sight.

Stolas saw the other Goetias in his mind's eye. All were unharmed. They did seem troubled though. No doubt they knew something had happened at Stolas' palace. A lot of them were in the middle of tasks or studies. Stolas couldn't quite tell what the purpose of their deeds were. Perhaps they were attempting to understand what had happened.

Seeing his Goetia brethren unharmed, Stolas decided he would attempt to reach out to them. He took a deep breath and recalled a verse.

Stolas: Brethren, hear my call. I ask for your audience. Converse with your brother in this place be it from across inches or miles.

For a while, Stolas heard nothing. He whispered the verse again. Still nothing. He did it once more. Even quieter. He was becoming a little concerned.

Barbas: Brother Prince Stolas? I hear you. You're okay! 

Stolas: Barbas. Yes. I'm alright. Stella and Octavia are here with me as well. 

Eligos: Ah. Stolas. I knew you were still kicking. 

Stolas: Brother duke. 

Eligos: I sense others joining. 

Vassago: Stolas! Brother, it's good to hear from you! 

Stolas: Does anyone know what happened? 

Barbas: We're not entirely sure, brother prince. It was brother king Paimon who first felt something was off. 

Stolas: Paimon? 

Eligos: Yes. He called for brother king Bael to start an emergency session of the council. We scryed your palace and didn't see you there. But we did see the aftermath of something.

???: I am here in the now. I know all was being said. Yes yes. 

Stolas: Frons? 

Bifrons: Hm. Indeed. I am I. And yesses, the king brother brought us in together all. Saw many dead ones in thy abode. 

Vassago: So much bloodshed. Did someone attack your palace, Stolas? 

Stolas: It's my doing, Vass. 

Vassago: What? 

Stolas: I had no choice. I... 

Bifrons: Why this? 

Barbas: Yes, brother prince, what happened? 

Eligos: Let him speak. 

Stolas: The guards took us all out into the garden. They said they needed to evacuate us. When we were all there they opened fire. 

Bifrons: For the reasons they have? 

Stolas: I don't know exactly why, but I tried a spell to break any mind altering magicks used on them. It worked. But only on some. They must've been confused coming out of their trance. They just kept shooting as they were ordered. I... I killed them. Most of them. Some seemed genuine in their attempts to kill us. Even the regular staff took up improvised arms. They shouted about killing tyrants. I don't understand what happened. I heard someone else recently stormed my palace though. Who was that?

Barbas: Camio went in with a special ops team. We haven't heard anything from him as of yet. 

Stolas: So it was Camio. 

Eligos: There was no decision by the council for any of us to go in. Camio seems to have taken it upon himself. We did send troops to have the news teams escorted away from the premises, so there's no longer live footage being broadcasted. However, I've since scryed the palace again. He's still inside, and it seems he's neutralized all apparent threats. Though I can't be certain. I sensed he was... confused. And very troubled. 

Stolas: Does he know my family is okay? 

Barbas: We've tried to contact him, but it seems his focus is elsewhere. He either can't sense our attempts at contact, or he's ignoring them. We can't say for sure if he knows you're all okay. He must've been adamant about going in. He was the first out the door when the council assembly ended. 

Stolas: I'll go back then. I- 

Eligos: You will do no such thing. 

Stolas: What? Eligos, it's my palace. My home. 

Eligos: That's brother duke Eligos to you, Prince. 

Stolas: No. You're not really going to- 

Eligos: It's an order, Prince Stolas.

Stolas: I... Yes, brother duke.

Eligos: We can't allow you to go back until the palace is cleared. 

Barbas: Unless you have something to say, brother king. 

Stolas: What? Who else is here? 

Barbas: You haven't said anything so far, brother king Asmoday. Is something the matter?

Nobody spoke for a long moment. Stolas thought that perhaps Barbas was joking. 

Asmodeus: I agree with Eligos' decision. 

Asmodeus' voice was quiet. Near a whisper. Had he actually been there the whole time? 

Eligos: I'm sure the council will want to assemble with you first.

Stolas: I understand.

Eligos: If there are no objections, I will go to your palace and attempt to reach President Camio.

No one spoke.

Eligos: Alright. Bifrons, Barbas, Vassago? 

Bifrons: Hm? Yessings? 

Barbas: Yes, brother duke?

Vassago: Brother duke. 

Eligos: Inform the rest of the council of our meeting. And... Brother king? 

Asmodeus did not speak.

Eligos: May I ask you to do the same? 

Asmodeus: Yes. 

Eligos: Understood. We will contact you when we have assembled, Stolas. Good fortune find you. 

Stolas felt Eligos' presence drop from the meeting.

Bifrons: Yes. Being well, brother princeling.

Barbas: Farewell, brother prince. 

Vassago: Stay safe, Stolas. See you soon.

They too left. Stolas could feel no one else present, but Asmodeus had been there without his knowing. He waited in case he had something to say, although he wasn't sure he wanted to hear it. After a short while of Asmodeus not speaking, Stolas assumed he too had left. He finally broke from his meditation and opened his eyes, seeing the dark room once again. He was a little disappointed that more of the Ars Goetia didn't answer his call. It seemed unlikely that the overwhelming majority knew he was alright until he reached out. They could tell when other Goetias had answered him, but still, they could've shown up as a sign of support. That being, why did Asmodeus answer his call? These were questions for later.