Concern of Perception

Stolas led Octavia to a corner away from everyone else.

Octavia: So what do you wanna talk to me about?

Stolas: I have to ask.

Stolas cleared his throat.

Stolas: When I killed our attackers at the palace, did that scare you? 

Octavia: Honestly... Yeah. You barely ever get angry. And that... I couldn't believe it was you, at first.

Stolas knelt down to equal height with his daughter.

Stolas: I want you to understand that I did that to protect you. I would never, never hurt you. Never. 

Octavia: I know, Dad.

Stolas: I think a lot about what happened. I keep thinking about how I could've killed less, or not at all. I just... panicked, I guess. It's because protecting you was my priority that I resorted to, uh, that. I'm sorry that I scared you.

Octavia: Actually, when your shield broke and the gunshots stopped, I thought they killed you. I think that scared me more.

Stolas: Really? 

Octavia: I mean I was pretty sure none of them had blessed guns. But who knows what they would've done after they shot us. Really it was thinking they got the better of you that freaked me out. 'Cause that would've opened up a whole... I dunno. Something existential, maybe. It's horrifying thinking about how just imps with guns could overpower you.

Stolas: I'm not that easy to kill. But I have to admit I'm concerned at how long it took me to realize what was going on.

Octavia: Do you think another royal might've-

Stolas placed his hands on Octavia's shoulders. 

Stolas: You let me worry about that, okay?

Octavia: But- 

Stolas: Hey! Hey.

Stolas caressed Octavia's cheek. 

Stolas: I can't stop you from thinking about it.

Stolas stood back up. 

Stolas: But try not to become paranoid. Alright?

Octavia: Okay, Dad.

A bell chimed out in the lobby.