Assist (Pat/Non) - Behind the Wall

Author's note: Part 23/??

Nonsee drifted through the day on autopilot. The green plants and flowers usually made him happy, but not today. He felt like a robot programmed to do everything with no feelings attached. Even the gardeners assisting him were worried. They didn't comment on his unusual behaviour, though. Non's mind wandered around, returning to the happy times with Pat. He missed the older male, his smile and warm embrace. He suppressed the tears forming and tried to focus on his job. The hours flew by, and Non felt more restless. Grandma Chor and Iris weren't back yet. The nasty feeling settled deep inside him. What if Mother found out?  

"Non!" His younger sister called him. Nonsee quickly turned around, abandoning the pink rose he was helping to bloom and ran towards her. 

"Iris." He breathed out, his eyes expectant. 

"Calm down, tiger. I will tell you everything later." She glanced at the gardeners in the back of the greenhouse. Nonsee nodded, realizing they weren't alone. They couldn't risk getting caught. Their mother had ears everywhere. 

"Do you have much work left?" Iris asked. Non shook his head.

"I will help you." She hooked her hand around his arm and dragged him towards the pink roses. The gardeners stopped paying attention to the siblings when Non returned to his duty. 

"Your doctor sent you something," Iris whispered into Nonsee's ear. His heartbeat quickened. 

"Really?"

"Sure. You will like it." Iris winked.

"Hurry up." She poked him in the side, urging him to finish his work. Non nodded, focusing on the plants in front of him. He couldn't wait to see the gift from Pat.