Chapter 25

LUNA'S POV

I slowly opened my eyes, greeted by an oppressive darkness that enveloped the room. My head throbbed with pain, and my body ached as I tried to make sense of my surroundings. Gradually, the dim contours of Salvo's room emerged, its decor veiled in shades of black, from the curtains to the furniture.

As I rose, a disorienting mix of confusion and disquiet settled within me. The room, though familiar, seemed shrouded in an eerie stillness, amplifying the residual fear from the night's events. I hesitated, my senses alert to the unfamiliarity of the atmosphere.

Venturing out of the room, I navigated the vast mansion. The grandeur of the estate struck me as I passed opulent corridors and intricately decorated spaces. It was a place where one could easily get lost, a stark contrast to the burnt remains of our apartment. My footsteps echoed through the silent halls.

Accidentally finding myself near the basement door, my ears caught the faint sound of muffled cries. A shiver ran down my spine as I approached, the gravity of the situation intensifying. The door seemed to loom ominously, and I hesitated for a moment, unsure of what I might find beyond.

Pushing the door open and descending down the wooden stairs, the cries led me to a hidden chamber. My heart raced as I stumbled upon the chilling scene in the dimly lit basement. Salvo's man, Xander, was mercilessly beating a helpless figure, suspended by chains with an iron rod in hand. The metallic tang of blood hung heavy in the air, and I recoiled at the brutal beating unfolding before me. Each sickening thud reverberated in my chest, amplifying the horror etched on my face. The dim light cast grotesque shadows that danced in rhythm with the merciless beating.

Salvo, with his signature stoic expressions, spoke with a cold authority. "Tell me, bastard. Who paid you to hurt Claudia?" His voice, low and threatening, reverberated through the dank chamber.

The beaten man, gasping for breath, managed to stammer, "I-I don't know what y...you're talking about."

Xander, fueled by rage, swung the rod with force, eliciting a pained cry from the captive. "You'll talk, one way or another."

Salvo stepped forward, his gaze piercing. "The CCTV footage shows two men entering her place. You and Logan. What were you paid for?"

The captive's eyes darted nervously between Salvo and Xander. "Logan, h...he paid me. Five grand to... to assault her."

My stomach churned, horror coursing through my veins. I couldn't tear my eyes away from the scene. Salvo's expression darkened. "And then what? What did Logan do?"

"He... he killed her and set a b...bomb in the gas stove," the man confessed, desperation tainting his voice.

Salvo's face remained impassive as he turned to Xander, a silent signal for more information. I, caught in the web of terror and revulsion, struggled to comprehend the depths of the darkness I had stumbled upon.

"Where is Logan now? Tell me everything, or this won't end well for you."