chapter 5: sherlock holmes

"Pricing errors? This is unacceptable!" Mr. Jung rambled on with his voice echoing through the conference room. Danielle and her co-interns were gathered for an urgent meeting to address the pricing error in their recent campaign.

"Our clients rely on accurate information. How did such a fundamental mistake occur under your watch?!" the supervisor's voice grew louder and more furious as his face turning a shade of crimson that would rival a ripe tomato.

Danielle, however, was in her own world, doodling on her notes and clearly not paying attention to person nagging infront.

It had been days since Haerin and her had their wild romp in the sheets. She passed out like a rock after that moment. She woke up the next morning, groggy and disoriented, only to find herself wearing her undergarments and completely alone in her room. No traces of Haerin except for some bruises, biting marks scattered across her skin, the ache in her body, and the soreness that made even the simplest movements painful which resulted her to be late in her work and received an earful from Mr. Jung.

At least nothing was bugging her anymore, or so she thought.

Out of the blue, her phone vibrated inside her blazer's pocket. She sneakily took it out and hid it under the long table. Danielle slid through her lockscreen and noticed a text from an unknown number.

Unknown Number:
How are you?

She scanned the unfamiliar text message but brushed it off as a wrong sent or number trying to pull a prank.

Bzz.

Unknown Number:
Leaving me on read?

Danielle furrowed her eyebrows reading the new sent message yet resisted the urge to respond and turned her device off.

Minutes later, her phone vibrated again notifying her that another message came through. She let out a huff sound and checked it.

Unknown Number:
Danielle

Danielle got goosebumps and almost cursed aloud. The person behind this unregistered number knew her name. This was no longer a random blip in the digital cosmos; it was personal. The message was meant for her.

You:
excuse me but who is this?

She decided to reply, swiftly flipped her phone over right after she sent it, and then pretended be fully engaged in the meeting at hand.

The Aussie almost jumped out of her seat when she felt her phone vibrated once more under her palms. Taking a deep breath, she checked it once again.

Unknown Number:
It's Haerin.

"This is a breach of trust-"

An audible gasp escaped Danielle's lips, her phone fell out of her hands and took a nosedive under the table. Her eyes widened like it was threatening to pop out from their sockets.

The sudden disruption made Mr. Jung to halt his words while all eyes in the room turned towards the poor brunette.

"What's wrong? What's wrong?" Hanni, who had been on the verge of falling asleep beside Danielle and almost slipping her butt off the chair, jolted awake and jumped to her friend with a defensive karate pose.