chapter 10: let her cook❗️

DANIELLE

"You can just move aside if you're not gonna help,"

"I want to."

I had no other choice but to let Haerin do what she wants to do. There was no point in fighting over little things with her.

When I met her earlier at the parking lot, Haerin told me she wanted to have dinner with me again. Initially, I was hesitant because I assumed she'd suggest the same old restaurant, but to my surprise, she drove us back to my apartment.

Luckily, I had gone grocery shopping the other day, so I had enough to cook something for us.

I couldn't even fathom why I agreed to this when I could've easily said no, but here we are.

"This is harder than I thought," I looked over to see Haerin struggling to cut the white onions. Her brows were meeting each other and her cheeks looks so puffy. You wouldn't even imagine she would wear my hello kitty designed apron.

I didn't know she can be this adorable.

I'll give her that.

"You're just inexperienced," I teased her and she was blinking continuously while wiping her eyes. It must have been stinging because of the onions.

"I'm not. I seriously know how to cook," she defended. Oh, she's not making a fool out of me.

"What kind of you dishes have you made then?" I asked her and took a small sip to taste the dak gomtang I was making.

"Fried eggs.."

I almost choked on my soup at her response.

Fried eggs? Is she fucking serious? Yes, she was dead serious about it, oh my god. Do some of the rich people think it's a major accomplishment if they cooked the most basic dish just because they grew up having personal chefs in their kitchen?

I can't help but let out a laugh, "And you think that's like a culinary achievement? Even ten year olds can whip up fried eggs,"

"Still that counts, so I'm not inexperienced at all." she shrugged.

I just smiled while shaking my head in disbelief. Like I said, there's no point in arguing with her over minor things because she would find ways to prove herself until it wore you out, until you couldn't do anything but to agree with her.

We finished cooking, well, I did most of the cooking after about half an hour since I made dak gomtang, japchae, and kimchi jigae. But to be honest, I just can't take all the credits in making our dinner, even if Haerin was delaying things because she was still sorting it all out, her persistence and effort did give her justice, plus she was the one who tidied the kitchen counter and set up the table.

I wonder if she's like this to everyone else?

As we started eating the dinner, I was feeling nervous when Haerin didn't show any reaction after tasting the foods. What's wrong?

I've always been confident in my cooking skills and people would love my dishes. But right now, I'm feeling uncertain about it. What if Haerin didn't like it? What if I messed up and the food turned out bad? I really wanted to impress her with my cooking.

"I can fuck with all of these," Haerin commented as she started devouring the food deliciously.

I couldn't help but let out a quiet huff and chuckled softly. It was a weird way to compliment but I appreciated it nonetheless.

"I'm guessing that's your way of saying you like them," I said and started to eat as well.

Haerin replied and nodded, "I do."