Chapter 8 - The Stranger

Madison clinked her glass to Deva's and lifted it to her lips for her first sip. She was finally here at one of Mrs. Selene's famous parties. Just as everyone had promised, everywhere she looked was thick with eligible high value, high society bachelors. These were just the type of men Madison had hoped to find when she took the spot on the dance team. The rules might forbid girls on the dance team from dating some of them, but it happened all the time in spite of the rules. After all, what girl in their right mind would not take advantage of such an opportunity? As long as Madison kept it clandestine until she managed an engagement to one of these men, she wouldn't have to worry about the loss of her spot on the team.  As far as after the engagement, well she could care less about her spot on the team. Madison felt a surge of anticipation to go with her second sip of champagne.

As she reminded herself not to smear her lipstick, she let her eyes roam around the room in search of a likely target for the evening. Everywhere she looked was another likely candidate, and just when she thought she might not be able to limit her choice to a single man, she caught sight of the most interesting man Madison had ever seen.

He stood off to one side of the room and nodded thoughtfully as a gentleman and his wife told a story. He wasn't as magnificent a specimen of manhood as many others at the party and he didn't strike like a thunderbolt of manly good looks, but he was oddly handsome in an eclectic way. Madison would have used the words "certain something" to describe his looks. That "certain something" wasn't loud or obvious and it wasn't for general consumption. All around the room there were young men in better physical shape, and more conventionally handsome, so it took a certain amount of discernment to see it, but only he had that "certain something" and Madison immediately felt an odd pull of attraction.

He was on the tall side, gangling even, but not in an off-putting or awkward way. He wore an impeccably tailored navy-blue three-piece suit with a polka dot blue bow tie and a pocket square of the same pattern. The bow tie might have looked pretentious on another man, but he pulled it off nicely. His black wingtips were neatly polished, and he wore no jewelry that Madison could see, but as he raised his glass to his lips, Madison did notice masculine veins that ran down the back of his hand to his tailored cuffs. He had mouse brown hair neatly parted to the right, and from time to time the part would spill down over his right eye, so he would tuck it back up with a sweep of his right hand. His jaw was square, and his face was symmetrical with finely shaped ears. His nose was a touch too large with a small bump in it and his cheek bones were strong under his dark eyes.

His manner was reserved and calm. He did not seem to say much, but he was studious in his attention and didn't get distracted by the nearby party. As the lady spoke, he leaned forward slightly, kind of in a half bow, and inclined one of his ears to her to catch what she was said over the din of the crowd. When she finished, he nodded again and gave her a gentle smirk of a smile, which in turn caused the lady to glow a little brighter.

Something about the way he paid attention to the lady made Madison feel a touch of jealousy, because she got the sudden realization that no one had ever paid her that kind of studious and polite attention in her life. Taken apart, the look, affect and air of the man was nothing special, but taken as a whole, it made for a mysteriously attractive man, like some kind of secret that needed to be unlocked before it could be enjoyed.

But what Madison found most attractive was the confident look of quiet contemplation about him. He didn't seek any attention even though he was in a room full of noisy party goers who all did their level best to stand out and be noticed. He didn't troll around or cast glances to survey the room and he pointedly avoided the dance floor, which served as the crucible of display for all the other party goers. He seemed completely at ease, comfortable and content to stand off to the side and enjoy quiet company. As a result, he lacked the mildly predatory aura of all the other young single men in the room. Maybe Madison stared too long because Deva followed her gaze and tilted her head in evaluation.

"He's attractive, I suppose," conceded Deva. "But you could do better."

Madison came back to herself.

"What?"

"I said he's attractive, but you could find a better one in here. A LOT better."

Madison nodded absently.

"Oh, yeah I suppose I could."

Deva patted her on the arm lightly and that recalled Madison to the moment.

"Let's have one more drink and then we'll hit the dance floor where the real action is. Just look at all of those hunks on the hoof!"

Madison half smiled her half agreement. Her second champagne cocktail had set her head abuzz and distracted her from the fact that she was naked underneath her dress and that she had just felt one of the oddest tugs of attraction in her life. In some ways that tug felt very familiar and in other ways it was brand new, but she definitely felt it. But no matter. Now was her time to get serious and search the room for Mr. Right.