Chapter 56 - The Pixie and the Giant

The next day, Madison arrived at Chili's early and got a table for four people. Just after she sat down, Cassidy arrived, dressed casually in a fluffy, forest green turtleneck sweater that set off her roan hair, and jeans with high-top sneakers.  Cassidy quickly spotted Madison and threw an avuncular wave as she walked past the host station.

"Hey," Cassidy greeted Madison. "You and your hubby baby it up yet?"

Madison smiled and shook her head.

"We just started trying. Won't know until next month."

"Does Daniel know this time?"

Madison mugged a mock look of offense.

"Yes, he does, I'll have you know."

Cassidy plopped her purse in the seat next to Madison then sat down across the table and propped her chin on her folded left knee. For such a little girl, Cassidy always carried massive purses. Cassidy flat-lined a face at Madison.

"OK, lucky bitch. That's all I want to hear about that, thank you."

Madison chuckled and then caught sight of the large cross that hung around Cassidy's neck. Cassidy shrugged when Madison pointed with a question in her eyes.

"Adalina gave it to me about two weeks ago, just out the blue. She's Catholic. Who knew. She said I looked lost, so she took me to church a couple of times." Cassidy looked a little sheepish. "It felt good, I suppose, so I'm giving it a go."

Cassidy looked down shyly and bobbled her head in concession.

"Everyone needs a little unconditional love," she said in a small voice.

Uncertain of what to say to that, Madison kept her peace and simply held Cassidy's hand. Cassidy smiled her thanks and then they got down to their girl business. They both ordered a drink and laughed about practice and the team news. Then they both ordered a salad from the teenage waiter who couldn't keep his eyes off them and while they waited for their food, Madison kept a close eye on the time. As 1:30 PM approached, Madison tried to take a discrete glance at the door, but Cassidy caught her anxious look and turned around.

"What are you looking at?"

Just as Cassidy turned to look, Burt strolled up the front sidewalk, as punctual as ever. He seemed incapable of haste, but he was never late.

"Great Caesar's ghost!" gasped Cassidy in admiration. "Look at that hunk of man!"

With a gleeful grin, Madison reached across the table, and grabbed Cassidy by the arm. Cassidy looked down in confusion at Madison's hand, before she looked at Madison's face.

"Cassidy, do you remember how you said that you prayed to find a guy you could let your guard down around and just be your honest self, even on your ugly days?"

Cassidy looked dubious.

"Yeah?"

"Did you mean it? I mean, do you really want that?"

"Yyyyyyyeah. So?"

"Well then ...."

The door chimed, and Burt ducked in. Madison had never really noticed how very tall Burt was until he stood in the doorway of Chili's that afternoon. He wore a thick brown sweater which coupled with his neatly trimmed brown beard and placid affect, made him look like a big comfortable teddy bear. He might have been dressed plainly, but Burt stood out. Daniel was tall, but in a wiry and sinewy way, unlike Burt who towered like a giant as he swung his studious gaze over the room. His eyes met Madison's and Madison waved him over enthusiastically. Cassidy shook her head at Madison with fearful disbelief.